27 May, 2011

27 May, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
27 May, 1944        0730

Dearest sweetheart –

Even at this hour – which is actually 0530, the sun is out bright and shining, and from the stillness of the air and the trees, it seems certain to be a hot day today. The natives say that even in this part of England – and I always think of Tennessee or the Western Part of New England – when I look around me – it really gets hot – except for about 4 or 5 days in the whole summer.

I got an old letter from you, yesterday, dear – from May 8 – but nonetheless welcome. I don’t know why it was delayed – but it must have gotten side-tracked one way or another. At any rate it was interesting – I mean your farming and your energy darling. I worked on a farm for a day once and I was sure it wasn’t for me. Incidentally, I never realized that Mr. Clark’s farm is where it is, or if I had been told, it didn’t stick. I found that very interesting too, very interesting. All you have to do is add an “E”.

And your story about the mailman was most amazing, sweetheart. That is what I’d call personalized service. We don’t get that in the Army, I can assure you. He certainly sounds most sympathetic and next time you see him, dear, thank him for me, will you? If he wants to come to the ceremony, it’s all right with me, too.

I also got a letter from a friend of mine in another AA outfit in Italy. He used to be with us long ago – our first time at Edwards – and he certainly has been through a lot of action.

Last night we were supposed to have a meeting, staff, at 1730 – in the Colonel’s room. That seemed unusual because we generally have them in his office. We were sure something big was going to pop. Well we went in and he was with another Colonel whom he introduced and said he had a few words to tell us. So we took out our notebooks and waited. This other Col. said “I won’t talk much”, and he didn’t. He opened a suitcase and brought out a bottle of Bourbon, and darling when that was gone, another bottle and another appeared. Well – they held the dinner bell off until 1830 and we were all feeling fine by then. The Col. was a classmate of our Col. and is AA liaison officer in London. It could very well be that our present set-up and fine location were a result of his direction – because the Army can work that way. He just felt like meeting the Staff and saying “Hello”.

Well, Sweetheart, it’s Dispensary time and I have to run along. I hope all is well at home, dear, and that you still love me and miss me the way I do you. If so – I’m happy, darling.

Love, for now, to the folks and

All my love to you for always
Greg

[Note from FourthChild: Mr. Clark’s farm was in Sherborn, Massachusetts, USA – hence "add an E” told Wilma where he was...]

No comments:

Post a Comment