06 June, 2011

06 June, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
6 June, 1944        0725

Dearest darling Wilma –

It seems like ages since I wrote you last – but it was really only the day before yesterday. If you remember, darling, I mentioned on Sunday that there was a possibility that I might go to London Monday on business – but I didn’t think I would go. I was wrong – and the reason I didn’t write to you yesterday, dear, was that I was away all day. I got up with the birds and was well on my way when the sun arose. I wanted an early start because I had several matters to take care of. I was glad I went, after all, because I hadn’t been away from the outfit since March 1st – when I had my leave – and the change was good. London – although I had been led to believe the contrary – was just as busy as ever and just as full of GI’s. Among the things I had to get was a violin for £5 and an accordion for the same price – both for the Special Service officer, and that took up most of my time.

At any rate, darling, I arrived back quite tired – it’s quite a round trip for one day – and after reading a letter from you which I found waiting for me – I went to bed. The letter was written on the 23rd, dear, and you had had your first day with the Red Cross and seemed quite enthused over it. I’m really glad and I hope it remains interesting for you – because it will help the time go by and in a constructive manner, too. The work you’ll have to do should shape up as a very stimulating job, I should think. Frankly I never thought much of the R.C. until I hit England. In the last war, the general consensus of veterans I’ve known said it failed miserably and that the Salvation Army outshone it. I still don’t know what it’s accomplishing in the States – but in the E.T.O. it has become the home and haven of officers and enlisted men alike. The girls are all swell – and really human; they try to make their clubs as American as possible. There’s at least an enlisted men’s club in about every city in England and in the larger ones – an officers’ club too. Aside from snack and donuts and coffee which they all have available – they do go into the social service aspect too, from helping one soldier to find a buddy of his, to straightening out muddled love affairs between the Americans and British. I really feel that you’re in a worthwhile spot now, sweetheart, and I hope you find the work interesting.

Darling – I’d like to write more but there’s lots of details waiting for me at the Disp. You know – with Charlie gone – when I leave, the work accumulates until I get back. I missed you very much, dearest, as I rode along with plenty of time to think and dream yesterday. My only conclusion was that I love you dearly, darling, and I just can’t wait for the day when I get back.

For me, sweetheart, that will be D-day.

Love to the folks.

All my love to you, dear
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about Eisenhower's Words to the Men
and a Brief Summary of D-Day


CLICK ON MESSAGE TO ENLARGE

The assault was conducted in two phases: an airborne assault parachute landing of 24,000 British, American, Canadian and Free French airborne troops shortly after midnight, and an amphibious landing of Allied infantry and armored divisions on the coast of France commencing at 6:30 AM. Beginning at 0130 hours, over 800 transport planes dropped the parachute elements of the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions on the Cotentin Peninsula, just north of Carentan and inland from the beach. Before daylight, the paratroopers of the 101st had seized the western exits of Utah beach to prevent enemy reinforcements from hindering the landing.

Click here for great detail about the Airborne Assault of Task Force "U" of VII Corps, as written in Utah Beach To Cherbourg (6 June-27 June 1944), by the Center of Miliary History, U.S. Army.

CLICK ON MAP TO ENLARGE

On D-Day, VII Corps sent its Assault Force "U" to Utah Beach

At 6:30 a.m., American troops came ashore at Utah and Omaha beaches. Click here for great detail about the Seaborne Assault of Task Force "U" of VII Corps, as written in Utah Beach To Cherbourg (6 June-27 June 1944), by the Center of Miliary History, U.S. Army. At Omaha, the U.S. First Division battled high seas, mist, mines, burning vehicles and German coastal batteries, including an elite infantry division, which spewed heavy fire. Many wounded Americans ultimately drowned in the high tide. British divisions, which landed at Gold, Juno, and Sword beaches, and Canadian troops also met with heavy German fire, but by the end of the day they were able to push inland. Despite the German resistance, Allied casualties overall were relatively light. The United States and Britain each lost about 1,000 men, and Canada 355.

Before the day was over, 155,000 Allied troops would be in Normandy. By nightfall, the initial hold on the peninsula was 4,000 yards wide and up to 10,000 yards deep. However, the United States managed to get only half of the 14,000 vehicles and a quarter of the 14,500 tons of supplies they intended on shore.

According to History.com:

Three factors were decisive in the success of the Allied invasion. First, German counterattacks were firm but sparse, enabling the Allies to create a broad bridgehead, or advanced position, from which they were able to build up enormous troop strength. Second, Allied air cover, which destroyed bridges over the Seine, forced the Germans to suffer long detours, and naval gunfire proved decisive in protecting the invasion troops. Thirdly, division and confusion within the German ranks as to where the invasion would start and how best to defend their position helped the Allies. Hitler, convinced another invasion was coming the next day east of the Seine River, had refused to allow reserves to be pulled from that area.

Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery, commander of Britain's Twenty-first Army Group (but under the overall command of General Eisenhower, for whom Montgomery, and his ego, proved a perennial thorn in the side), often claimed later that the invasion had come off exactly as planned. That was a boast, as evidenced by the failure to take Caen on the first day, as scheduled. While the operation was a decided success, considering the number of troops put ashore and light casualties, improvisation by courageous and quick-witted commanders also played an enormous role.

The following three outstanding color videos show the convoys heading to France for the invasion, D-Day and its aftermath.
1 of 3
2 of 3
3 of 3

No comments:

Post a Comment