12 June, 2011

12 June, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 403 % Postmaster, N.Y.
12 June, 1944

My dearest Sweetheart –

I can’t write very much now, but I thought a little would be better than nothing at all – while the opportunity presented itself. Naturally I can’t tell you yet where I am or what we’re doing but soon perhaps – I will. The fact is, though, darling – that no matter where I am or what I’m doing – you are constantly in my mind – and more so now than ever before. The thought of you and your love and constancy is wonderful tonic and a letter of yours written June 2 which miraculously reached me today – certainly helped in keeping my spirits up. I don’t know where you learned it – or if you took a course – but your letters are made to order for a guy overseas, sweetheart, and I can only say that you’ll never know my appreciation. I have to admit over and over again that I love you more and more – and hope that you won’t tire of hearing just that. But if you’re interested in knowing that I was never more certain of anything than I am of my desire to make you my wife and live with you happily in Salem – then I’ll tell you just that – because darling I mean to do just that. Remember dear that it is you and only you I love, think of, dream about and desire – everywhere and always.

Dearest – I can’t write more now. I do hope you’re hearing from me by now – and don’t worry because everything is going along fine. I don’t believe I wrote you yesterday or the day before – but I’m not positive, dear. I’ll try to write as often as I can. Love to the folks and my love is yours forever,
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about D-Day plus 6

On 12 June, 1944, the Americans of the 502nd and 506th regiments of the 101st Airborne managed to control a part of the town of Carentan in the evening, after difficult street fighting. The junction between the American troops coming from Utah Beach and those coming from Omaha Beach was now carried out. The five bridgeheads were joined together representing a 80 kilometers long zone from Sainte-Mère-Eglise in the West and to Ouistreham in the East, reaching 10 to 30 kilometers of depth.

By this time, a third wave of Allied forces had landed. There are now 326,000 troops, 104,000 tons of supplies and 54,000 vehicles deployed in Normandy, France. Elements of VII Corps advanced across the Cotentin Peninsula and southwest. Also, the 4th Division was engaged at Montebourg, Crisbecq and near Azeville to the northward drive on Cherbourg. V Corps assisted VII Corps and advanced toward St Lo. Caumont was captured and Foret de Cerisy and the Bayeux road were reached.

[Note from FourthChild: Although it will not be written in a letter here, Greg later told of arriving on Utah Beach on D-Day plus 6. He would joke that he rolled onto the beach in a jeep, without even getting his feet wet. Perhaps his experience was something like this...]

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Troops aboard an LCT on 12 June, 1944


Jeeps roll off an LST on 12 June, 1944


Newly landed U.S. Forces move along Utah Beach
at Les Dunes de Madeleine, on their way to the front
to reinforce troops facing the enemy on 12 June, 1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment