10 August, 2011

10 August, 1944

V-MAIL

438th AAA AW BN
APO 403 % Postmaster, N.Y.
France
10 August, 1944      1000

My dearest sweetheart –

Zounds! Again ze V-mail! Excuse it dear – but always keep in mind I use it only when absolutely necessary. Blame it on the advancing Yanks. I read with interest your statement of being a bit frightened at the thought of actually leaving home and being married – etc. That’s natural, darling, and don’t think a fellow doesn’t feel a bit the same way – but I know we’ll be happy together, dear, and very content to be living alone.

You mention a Rhea White a couple of times, dear. Do I know her? You also mention the fact that you hope I like your mother as much as you’ve grown to like mine. You’ve had quite a head start on me, darling, but there’s no doubt in my mind at all that your folks will be my folks and that I’ll love them as I do my own – and that’s a great deal. I liked your folks from the first; they were always very nice to me at first and very lovable before I left. I’ll never be able to thank them enough for their broadmindedness in allowing us to become engaged, dear, I really owe them a lot.

Yes Mr. 5x5 was always that big. I could have gotten rid of him in the States – but he’s a good dental technician and a pretty good all around man. Sorry I didn’t think of that bracelet myself – and earlier – but I’m glad you’re enjoying it. All for now, dear. Love to the family and

All my love for now
Greg

P.S. Saw Pete yesterday.
        Sends his love.

* TIDBIT *

about The Fewest Pitches by a Single Pitcher
in a Single Game



"I'd rather be lucky than good." - Red Barrett

On 10 August 1944, Red Barrett of the Boston Braves threw a 58-Pitch Complete Game against the Cincinatti Reds at Crosley Field in one hour and 15 minutes.

From Baseball Almanac comes this:

In the new age of baseball, relief pitching can be the key to a championship. Teams pay top dollar for a good closer and proven middle relief. Starting pitchers are too high-priced to damage their arms by going over 100-pitches or finishing a complete game. Nowadays, it is quite unusual to see any pitcher complete more than 2 games in any season, but that was not always the case. In the early decades of the game, most pitchers finished what they started unless they got into too much trouble.

This was the state of baseball in 1944 when Charley "Red" Barrett played for the Boston Braves. Barrett was a career .500 pitcher during eleven seasons with the Reds, Braves, and Cardinals. It was on 10 August of that year, playing for the Braves against his former team, that Barrett made history. He threw not only the shortest night game in history at one hour and fifteen minutes, but also the complete game with the fewest pitches ever. Barrett needed only fifty-eight pitches to shutout the Reds 2-0 with only two hits and no walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment