16 August, 2011

16 August, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 403 % Postmaster, N.Y.
France
16 August, 1944       0930

My dearest girl –

There was a time in France that when we moved, we stayed ‘put’ for awhile and took care of details etc. For the past 10 days it has not been so, and despite the wear and tear of digging, pitching and striking tents, falling behind in cleanliness, losing out on daily mail and not getting a chance to write much – no one is kicking, dear, because we’re going in the right direction and rapidly. We’re really chewing up the miles these days – and it’s wonderful. We’re bound to meet some opposition soon, I suppose – but right now – there’s no doubt as to which side has the decisive hand. I can well imagine how the news is being received at home. I’m sure everyone must feel the war can only last a few weeks more. I personally think it will last longer – chiefly because I don’t think there’s a mechanism in Germany set up as yet to make or sue for peace. But it will come darling, and with it my early return home to you. I’ve never wanted anything ever – as much as I want to get home and marry you, sweetheart. That it will come – I don’t doubt at all. It’s only a question of time.

This morning (we rarely get mail in the a.m.) I got 2 letters – one from your mother – very sweet, and one from you of August 2nd, dear. I was tickled to read about Mr. Anderson’s offer to you – not because it might mean a paid job – but because it showed he must like your work and have confidence in you. If so – it must mean you have ability – and since I think that anyway, I like to feel that others feel the same way. At any rate – I think you did the right thing when you went to work with the ARC – and paid or not paid – your contacts and experience with them are well worth having.

I didn’t have the pleasure of seeing you dressed up in your Mother’s wedding gown, darling, but I got a good laugh out of it anyway. You remind me of a little girl trying on her mother’s high shoes etc. – and the funny part of it is dear – that’s what you are in fact!

It’s funny – I meant to mention the news of the new landings on the South coast of France – and forgot all about it – up to this point. I can say truthfully – that for some time – we small time strategists have figured there’d be a landing in that region. The Germans have been withdrawing from that sector of France for some time and day after day we could see the Forts flying in that direction. This new drive is bound to divert even more of Hitler’s thinning troops – and the picture is unfolding very nicely. I suppose it came as an even bigger surprise to the United States – but this war seems full of them.

I was surprised to read about Earl being with the 7th Army in Italy. We thought the 7th was in Corsica – but Armies do get around these days. Betty’s remarks about Stan were interesting. And I do wish you’d do something about a vacation. Now that Bea is back – your chances of going to Old Orchard seem gone – so why don’t you at least go to Hartford – just for a change of scenery? I’d wait until September and some cooler weather, though. Hartford can be an awfully hot spot in the summer. I worked there a few weeks for two summers and boy – it was broiling. I always liked that city, though.

Well, darling, I’ve sort of rambled on today without expressing clearly enough the fact that I love you and wish I could be together with you – discussing in person – all these little things. I guess we won’t do much talking though for awhile after I get back – except perhaps to yell “Time!” – occasionally. Boy! Wouldn’t I like to be winded – from kissing! I am developing my wind, though, – but from digging, and I think I’ll be able to reapply it without difficulty.

It’s time to stop now, dear and get some things done. I do hope you’re taking care of yourself – and that everyone is fine at home. My love to the folks, dear, and for now –

My deepest love –
Greg.

Route of the Question Mark


[CLICK TO ENLARGE]

(A) Milly to (B) Lignières-la-Doucelle (64 Miles)
11 to 16 August 1944

August 16... Lignieres la Doucelle. Pfc GORDON was burned by flaming gasoline. S/Sgt BARHAM captured our first two prisoners, the ones that S/Sgt BOGARDUS and T/4 LANG fired at the night before. Lt Col LANE attacked the yellow-jackets at the Officers' table with fire and smudges, and it was impossible to keep them out of our jam cans. The motor section acquired its first motorcycle, and we got a 0100 march order. Capt RENKIN lost all his clothes and the S-4 section caught H E L L.

* TIDBIT *

about "A Picture Speaks 1,000 Words"

CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE


Hearse in front of Notre Dame Church
at La Ferté-Macé


Notre Dame at La Ferté-Macé today

No comments:

Post a Comment