[Be sure to Click to enlarge]
|Château de Mémorant|
"Battalion Command Post - South of Paris
signed by the then-owner Huguette Marcou
Front of the above signed postcard shows the layout behind the chateau
|Aerial view of Chateau Memorant today|
shows the same layout
|The Route of the Question Mark|
|(A) Les Fretis to (B) Perthes (85 miles)|
25 to 27 August 1944
August 27... Perthes. We set ourselves up in the grounds of a chateau, a handsome cream and white affair. Paris had just been liberated and some of the drivers managed to get there. We spent a horrible night while the Nazi bombers tried to hit the bridge over the Seine at Melun.
On November 14, 1392, Philippe de Maizières, Knight of Cyprus and counselor of Charles V, bought Château de Mémorant from Christine de Pisan. On May 9, 1393, he donated it to the Celestine Monks of Paris. On August 15, 1539, Perthes and the Château de Mémorant were destroyed by the soldiers of Charles le Mauvais, the head of Navarre. The two main mills were also razed.
The chateau was rebuilt in 1857 and only a few parts of the ancient castle remain today - some sections of walls and turrets, including the farm drawbridge shown in the postcard, above.