24 October, 2011

24 October 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Germany
24 October, 1944       1100

My dearest darling –

If I don’t write too boldly, the sun which is out now, may stay out. It’s been a long time now since we’ve seen the sun – and it certainly is a welcome sight.

I wrote you late yesterday p.m. dear, and even later than that I received a couple of your letters – and they were good to see, believe me. In the evening, I played Bridge – and won 28 marks – and this morning I have already seen a movie. Sick call was very light and I went over to see the show because I’ll be too busy this afternoon to see it. When we have a movie – it is usually put on twice – early morning and early afternoon. The one this morning was “The Adventures of Mark Twain”. It was good – although the last half seemed to drag somewhat. This p.m. I’m going on a little mission – the result of which may be twenty or twenty-five bottles of some nice Rhine wine. That’s as much as I can tell you now, darling. If I get it, I’ll write you about it in the morning.

Something new is being added to warfare, by the way. A recent announcement from higher headquarters is that they are gong to give the boys 24-hour passes and open up a couple of cities in the rear. Hitherto – every city and town has been “off limits to troops” – and the only reason I’ve managed to get to so many is because I just go and the M.P.’s never stop me. I don’t think these passes will apply to officers – but even if they did – I don’t see any point in them. There’s really nothing to do and everyone has to be off the streets at dark – and it’s dark at 1830.

Your letter dated 5 October reminds me of the enthusiasm I expressed at the liberation of some of the Belgian cities. I really was enthused, as I think of it now. The situation here in Germany is so much different. Instead of enthusiasm we now have a feeling of compensation, or satisfaction at seeing German homes leveled for a change, and German civilians lugging stuff along the main roads, in wheel-barrows, on bicycles and all sorts of conveyances. To date I haven’t had the slightest sensation of pity – and I'll have to see a lot more before I’ll soften. The few Germans I’ve spoken with ask innocently why it is the Americans hate them; they wonder if all Americans hate them and they say that after all, the Americans declared war on the Germans. Can you imagine such crassness! You have actually to hear it, to believe it! And all of them, by the way, “hated” Hitler and are “glad” that we’ve come to deliver them. Such bunk I didn’t believe possible – but that’s what we’re meeting.

Oh – I’m glad you managed to get that Wilson flag. I wondered whether some censor might grab it. It’s really an interesting relic. Some Belgian or other was waving it madly in a small town we were passing through, and as our jeep slowed down – she threw it into the car. I grabbed it because it was the only one of its kind I had seen – although I’ve seen a half-hundred other styles of American flags.

And it was not a Count at whose Castle we stayed, sweetheart; he was an honest-to-goodness, bona fide Prince and she was a Princess! The title was Prince of Mèrode and they were both very charming – see? In the same letter, dear, you say you’ve received a total of 31 pictures. I do hope you got some more, because that makes about 19 missing. I now have 3 more rolls, still undeveloped; I’ve seen a good many things worth photographing in the past couple of weeks – but there’s been no sun out.

Well, darling, here it is lunch time again and time to go. The days are sneaking by, one by one, dear – and whether we seem to be going swiftly now or not – it’s one less day we have to wait. I’m happy that you feel you can wait it out. I know I can – and some fine day we’ll get married and forget all about war. Just think how wonderful it will be to see you all the time and know that you are mine for always. It seems so far away now – but it will come!

So long for now, dear and love to the folks.

My deepest love, Sweetheart
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

ORDERS!

The orders speak of bringing food from Aachen to Hahn, but clearly the intent was something different altogether! Perhaps some food was picked up with the wine...

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment