09 November, 2011

09 November 1944

V-MAIL

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Germany
9 November, 1944

Hello darling –

It’s 1700 and I’ve just got back from a busy day visiting one of our batteries. I’d no sooner go out when I’d get a call to come back to see a patient; that happened twice; then I got a call to come back because some officers were looking over the house where I was billeted with a view to moving in. So I dashed back again to protect my rights – and succeeded. Everyone is trying to get indoors – and you practically have to stand guard – not to lose your ‘home’. I went back to the Battery again, but by this time I had lost all interest in inspecting and I headed back here. And my spirits picked up tremendously when I read your letter of the 26th, sweetheart. Your letters sure do give me a lift, dear, – and I thought you knew that. I love what you write, how you write it – and I guess – everything else about you. Will stop for now and try to write more tomorrow. Love to the folks – and so long for now.

All my deepest love
Greg


* TIDBIT *

about What General Hodges was Writing

The snapshots that follow were taken from Normandy to Victory: The War Diary of General Courtney H. Hodges & the First U.S. Army, maintained by his aides Major William C. Sylvan and Captain Francis G. Smith Jr.; edited by John T. Greenwood, copyright 2008 by the Association of the United States Army, pp. 168-170.

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment