21 November, 2011

21 November 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Germany
21 November, 1944        1030
Good Morning, darling –

Well. I’m still on that 3-day pass – but this is the 3rd and final day. Of course – we still have the whole day ahead of us and we don’t go back until 0900 tomorrow.

It hasn’t been an hilarious time and yet – it has turned out much better than I expected and I’m glad cause it’s been a long time more than several hours in a row – and it’s an enjoyable sensation. The bunch of fellows from other outfits who happen to be here at the same time as we – turned out to be a very nice gang. There are Artillery, Engineer, Infantry, Armored Division etc. officers here – and you might think there’d be a lot of talk about recent events, personal accounts of action – and the like; but there hasn’t been. Everyone here seems intent on just relaxing, sleeping, eating – and I suppose I must confess, darling – drinking, too. The drinking situation is and isn’t like that in London when we had time off. It’s like it in that when you buy a drink, they charge you all sorts of prices, a bottle of cognac costs roughly $12.00, and when you buy one you find it has been diluted; the situation differs in that the Army has provided several opportunities for officers in combat in the forward areas to order liquor from time to time – and most of us brought some along. I brought some cognac and Scotch. We have one large lounge or living room – this is an apartment type hotel – and several of us sit around, drink, sing and reminisce about the good old days in the States. That by the way, Sweetheart, is the chief subject always – wherever soldiers are.

For one reason, I’m anxious to get back to duty – and that is to see if there’s any mail, dear. It seems as if I’m completely out of touch with you when a couple of days go by and I don’t read one of you letters telling me about what you’re doing etc. There are a lot of little things – but all together, dear, they make me visualize you, your surrounding and your activities – and that’s what I’m living on, sweetheart, that and the thought that someday our activities will be mutual – and that we’ll be able to tell each other our thoughts rather than write them. I love you, darling, and the one thing I want to do is get home and marry you and live with you. The wonderfulness of that thought is almost difficult to imagine – but wonderful – it will be I’m sure –

Darling – the boys are ready to leave and walk downtown – so I’ll stop now. I’ll write tomorrow from battalion. So long for awhile, then – and love to the folks.

All my sincerest love, dear –
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about a Veteran's Tale of the Huertgen Forest

Alexander "Sparky" Kisse served with the 28th "Bloody Bucket" Division in Europe through December of 1944. He was a replacement when he joined the 112th Regiment, Company F in September of 1944. He served in the Huertgen Forest during the early days of November, 1944. The following two videos are interviews with Sparky, made possible by his son, William Kisse, who posted them on YouTube and wrote, "This is my tribute to my Dad's service, patriotism and sacrifice - and ALL who served with honor, and is an inspiration to us all."

The first is more than 40 minutes and the second over an hour - and they are worth every minute of listening.



No comments:

Post a Comment