30 November, 2011

30 November 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Germany
30 November, 1944        1115

My dearest sweetheart –

Another morning coming to an end and sick call just about over with. This is the end of the month again and it marks the 8th month anniversary of our Engagement, dear. It doesn’t really seem so long to me for I still get the same thrill at the realization that I am actually engaged to you, darling. It is so much more pleasure to me when I write you and am aware of what you mean to me. If you yourself are not fully aware, dear, I’ll tell you again that you mean more to me than anything else in the world – and that, sweetheart, is a great deal.

The end of the month also means paying off the men and getting paid myself. I believe I told you that last month I sent all of my pay home; I didn’t miss it either. There’s nothing to spend it on. Playing Bridge now solely and no Poker – I can’t lose much. As a matter of fact, since we’ve started paying, I’m ahead a few dollars. No one ever loses or wins more then 2 or 3 dollars a night and very often we pay off or collect 4 or 5 marks. I’m a confirmed Bridge addict now and prefer it to Poker – whenever there’s a choice. There are about seven of us that play – and there’s a game almost every night.

Last night we saw “Two Yanks Abroad” – and it was good entertainment, although rather thin. We did miss out on something good, though, earlier in the day. We found out about it too late. Marlene Dietrich was in this town and put on a show in the very next block – for some Armored Division troops. Had we known about it, we could have very easily attended.

And I got some mail, too! Three letters from you, darling, dated 28 October (2) and one of the 30th. Now that’s pretty darned slow. They must have come over on a freighter. One of your letters mentioned Rose Courtiss’ brother who received the Silver Star. That’s a pretty smart award! If he were in this Army, I could look up the citation and see why or how he got it, but he must have deserved it. An armored division gets around though.

I don’t know how I neglected to write you that I loved you from Holland, too, because I did, darling. But then – you know that. The fact is I love you everywhere and all the time – now that’s pretty all-inclusive, I think. And please don’t talk about China! That gives me the willies, too, dear.

It’s been so long since we’ve had anything like recent mail – I’m beginning to get a bit curious as to the results of my sending those packages to you. I can’t remember whether I wrote that the value did not exceed $50.00 – or not, but I know I didn’t write “gift”. And I don’t need anything, sweetheart, so you don’t need a request from me! The letter in which you asked me for a request came yesterday – and was written on the 27th of October. I can’t imagine what you had on your mind, dear, concerning my Birthday. You say you think it would be fun. Are you coming over, darling? Boy! oh Boy!! Now I can hardly wait! And what do you mean by “I might like it, if it works”? Do you mean if the object you planned to send me works – or if the plan works? See, dear – you’ve got me all mixed up! Oh well – we’ll see – .

I like to hear you complain about the Red Cross from time to time. It’s a healthy symptom – as long as something is done about it, and I suppose something is, eventually. At any rate, I would not aggravate myself too much over it, darling; it’s not worthwhile. You do your job and let the supervisors worry about the rest. I hope you have your uniform by now, dear; gosh – I’m anxious to see a picture of you in it, too. Send one on!

I’ll stop now, sweetheart. I’m already a little late for lunch but I wanted to finish this before eating. Hope to get more mail from you today. Meanwhile, dear – love to the folks and

My sincerest love is yours
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

about General Hodges and the Industrialists

The snapshots that follow were taken from Normandy to Victory: The War Diary of General Courtney H. Hodges & the First U.S. Army, by his aides Major William C. Sylvan and Captain Francis G. Smith Jr.; edited by John T. Greenwood, copyright 2008 by the Association of the United States Army, pp.192-193.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment