09 December, 2011

09 December 1944

V-MAIL

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Germany
9 December, 1944        1045

My dearest darling –

Another V-mail for you to excuse, dear, but I can’t help it. Here it is late morning and I still have a whole mess of patients to see – and I haven’t scratched the surface of inspecting B battery – and this is the 3rd or last day allotted me for just that purpose. By tomorrow I should have a little more time.

The mail situation is abominable and I haven’t received a letter from anyone at all for several days. I know I’ll get a whole batch – one of these days – but I don’t like the waiting – do you?

Other than that, dear, things here are reasonably quiet and comfortable – but slow. I guess the Germans fooled us in their tenacity – but they must certainly be near the breaking point now. All for the moment sweetheart – Love to the folks and remember – I do and will love you

Always –
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about More from General Hodges



The snapshots that follow were taken from Normandy to Victory: The War Diary of General Courtney H. Hodges & the First U.S. Army, maintained by his aides Major William C. Sylvan and Captain Francis G. Smith Jr.; edited by John T. Greenwood, copyright 2008 by the Association of the United States Army, pp.201-202.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

No comments:

Post a Comment