10 December, 2011

10 December 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Germany
10 December, 1944        1040

Dearest Sweetheart –

It’s Sunday morning again – the time in the week I used to like best dear and the time which I know I will like again. Now “ist es mir egal “ – as the Germans put it; it makes very little difference. My German is coming along fine, by the way, dear. – and I really feel that having majored in it was no waste of time. Although I never spoke it, I did read it well and it’s gratifying to be able to come out with past participles, future perfects, etc. – and correctly too. A most recent patient I took care of asked if I had ever lived in Germany and when I asked her why she asked that, she said I spoke German well enough to have lived here once. That was some compliment, I thought. One patient I have near here, a boy of 14, has studied 4 years of English and when I run into any peculiar constructions I want to use – he helps me more than a book could.

Well last night, sweetheart, several of the officers from the batteries came in and we had a crowd of about 25 of us – the first time we had been anywhere near together for an evening since Sherborne. We mixed up a Punch with some stuff we had and it turned out to be very very potent – so strong in fact, dear, that 4 of the officers passed out early in the evening. It didn’t seem to affect me at all – except of course – I felt pretty high for about 3 hours. All in all – it was good fun getting together – and we’re going to try it all over again probably on Christmas Eve.

I was glad to read, dear, that you’ve been getting my mail – even if a bit late at times – but without any getting lost. I have no file of your letters – so I can’t say for certain, but I believe that eventually I receive all of yours. At present there’s a stack of them missing from November – but they’ll no doubt arrive someday and be just as welcome. No – I don’t worry about the lack of good companionship at Hq. The only one I want – is a lasting, life-long companion – and you’ll be that one for me I know. I’m glad that’s the way you feel about it because I love you, too, sweetheart.

Say – what did you mean about my going to Pete’s battery around the 31st? I wasn’t aware of the coincidence in dates; and why must I be there on the 31st of January – my Birthday? Just what are you concocting anyway? Guess I’ll get no satisfaction out of you. Pete wasn’t in last nite – but I’ll have to look him up and see what he knows about all this –

At the end of your most recent letter – you mention that Irving is out of the hospital and doing well. That came as a surprise – for I didn’t know he was ill again. I suppose I’ll hear the details in another letter.

Well – it is almost noon, now, sweetheart and I must get ready to eat. What’ll we do this afternoon – listen to Philharmonic, play Bridge, go for a ride – or visit? Anything you like, darling. Sorry – just dreaming – but it’s a date for later – right? For now – sweetheart – just remember – I love you, want you and think always of the time we’ll be together in fact.

So long, again, and my love to the folks.

All my everlasting love
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about AMVETS
(American Veterans)



This information was been excerpted from the official website of AMVETS, an organization that provides leadership, advocacy and service to America's veterans.

As one of America’s foremost veterans service organizations, AMVETS (or American Veterans) has a proud history of assisting veterans and sponsoring numerous programs that serve the United States and its citizens. The helping hand that AMVETS extends to veterans and their families takes many forms. One of the most visible is their network of trained national service officers (NSOs) accredited by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Funded by the AMVETS National Service Foundation, these dedicated men and women can be found in close to 40 states, providing sound advice and prompt action on compensation claims at no charge to the veteran.

In one recent year alone, AMVETS national service officers processed more than 24,000 claims that resulted in veterans receiving some $400 million in compensation. This commitment to service traces its roots back to 1948, when our NSOs first began helping veterans of World War II to obtain the benefits promised them by the federal government.

Coincidentally, it was these returning veterans who provided the impetus for forming AMVETS in the first place. At the time, many of them belonged to veterans clubs on college campuses. As the number of returnees swelled into the millions, it was evident that some sort of nationally organized assistance for them would be needed. The older established national groups, such as The Veterans of Foreign Wars, wouldn’t do; the leaders of this new generation of veterans wanted their own organization.

With that in mind, eighteen of them, representing nine veterans clubs, met in Kansas City, Missouri, and founded The American Veterans of World War II on 10 December 1944. Less than three years later, on July 23, 1947, President Harry S. Truman signed Public Law 216, making AMVETS the first World War II organization to be chartered by Congress.

Since then, the original charter has been amended several times to admit as members those who served in different eras. Today, membership in AMVETS is open to anyone who is currently serving, or who has honorably served, in the U.S. Armed Forces from World War II to the present, including the National Guard and Reserves.

Over the years, AMVETS has been in the forefront of public-policy related to national defense, services for homeless veterans, adequate funding for the Department of Veterans Affairs, concurrent receipt of retirement pay and disability compensation by disabled military retirees, veterans employment and training, POW/MIA accountability and flag protection.

In addition to the work of their national service officers, other AMVETS members, as well as those in the AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary, devote as many as 250,000 hours of free time a year to brighten the lives of hospitalized veterans. Here, something as simple as playing cards with the lonely or watching television with the disabled can make a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment