26 March, 2012

26 March 1945

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
26 March, 1945      0830
Germany

Wilma darling –

It’s a rainy, drizzly morning, the first rain in some time, it seems. It looks as if it will last all day, but this time of the year – rains shouldn’t last long. Yesterday, late p.m. things finally quieted down for me and I set out to look around a bit. In getting to our present position – we had by-passed a famous university city – so I drove back yesterday to look around. The city is about 50% destroyed; the university 100%. There were a few walls standing with signs reading: French Seminar, Greek Seminar etc. The Cathedral of the City was pretty well wrecked. It must have been one swell spot to have been a student in that city because even half dead – it had an air of richness and romanticism that you expect from an old European city. I took a few snaps and then I returned here.

I found some mail from you, too, 2 airmails of 12 and 14 March. I was so glad to read you had received a recent one of mine because I know how elated I feel after receiving a late letter of yours. I also got a letter from Dr. Finnegan and a post-card from Dad A. when he was passing thru New York. Dr. Finnegan gave me a bit of news about Salem and particularly about a few of the men in the service. Dr. Gardner has lost 40 lbs, is still in the Pacific – and no diagnosis has been made; Bob Shaughnessy – in the Pacific – has arthritis of the spine and hip; Dick Thompson is back from the Pacific and is now at a West coast hospital. He has a fungus infection of his hands. I guess the Pacific is a pretty tough spot, Japs or no Japs. I’m glad that so far, at least, I’ve been able to stay out of that theater.

I also got a V-mail from you, dear – no date – in which you told me about the possibility of spending one night of Passover with my folks. I hope you got the chance to, because I know they’d love to have you. They’ll be mighty lonely people this year – for we always managed to get all together.

Your letter of the 12th mentioned a party and lots of people. I don’t have your previous letter – so I couldn’t follow it too well, but it sounded like a swell time. In the same letter you mentioned sending me a package – including face cloths. Thanks – in advance, darling; I’ll be on the look-out for it. In reference to the package you received with the two novels – I’m puzzled too, dear. Once a package is sent – I’m damned if I can remember what was put into it. I had thought that that one contained only the 2 books. There’s only one address book I ever sent you. But I sent out quite a bit of junk about that time – and I’m mixed up. I can’t even remember the spruce sprig or why I included it. Boy – am I slipping! As for the novels – I don’t think I’ll ever get around to reading them. They’re just a remembrance of the baby I delivered and a note of thanks from the mother.

And just to keep the facts straight, dear – you’ll be the most loved girl in town – when I get back. We’ll probably both become punchy – as they say in the Army – but I know that I’ll sure love you awfully hard and long.

Before I stop, dear – in reference to your hair – I don’t know; think I’ll send you down to the hairdressers; I haven’t had much training with a lot of hair – you know. And now, sweetheart, I’ll have to close. Hope to hear from you again today. Love to the folks – and

All my deepest love
Greg

Route of the Question Mark


[CLICK TO ENLARGE]

(A) Königswinter to (B) Schoenberg, Germany (12 miles)
15 March - 22 March 1945

March 26... Schoenberg. A sad let-down from Longenburg. Houses built of clay and mud, like the ones in Normandy, and just as dirty, if such a thing is possible. Very depressing. A ramshackle town.

No comments:

Post a Comment