10 July, 2012

10 July 1945


438th AAA AW BN
APO 513 % Postmaster, N.Y.
10 July, 1945 
My dearest Sweetheart –

Gee – I got a letter yesterday from you, Dad B and Dad A – all postmarked 2 July and that’s not bad at all. I think from here in the mail service ought to be continuously good. I hope the service in your direction, dear, is just as good.

So you are now in the unemployed class! I’ll bet it’s a relief – although my bet is you’ll probably be missing it soon. But it will do you good – getting a rest and relaxing. The fact is, darling, that for the past couple of months or so you have sounded a bit tired – although I know several factors were involved.

Say, dear, I didn’t know Dad B was so tired out. Has he been working too hard, and how do you happen to know his pulse is always fast? For pity’s sake – have him take it easy. And by the way – how is Mother B? I guess I should drop them both a note – but damn it – I seem to have less time now than I did when we were in Combat. And don’t you overwork either, sweetheart! Mowing all that lawn etc. is too much for a girl to do – remember that! And incidentally, I love you, darling – so take care of yourself for me. Love to the folks and

All my love,



about The Mystery Surrounding U-530

U-530 in Argentina

In his blog "History's mysteries and other thoughts", Pilar Bertuzzi Patagonia posted an article, U-530: The Mystery U-boat of Patagonia, on 3 April 2011. Here was that post:
On 10 July 1945, two months after the end of WWII, German submarine U-530 surrendered to the Argentinian forces at Mar del Plata, south of Buenos Aires. Oberleutnant Otto Wermuth, the ship’s captain, did not explain why the crew on board carried no identification and could not account for the ship’s log, which was missing.

U-530 Commanding Officer
Lieutenant (j.g.) Otto Wermuth

On 17 July 1945, Reuters reported that according to Argentinian newspaper, Critica, the Argentine police were searching the coast for any person that may have disembarked from the U-530. Critica argued that there were doubts as to whether Otto Wermuth was the ship’s real captain and introduced the possibility that the real crew, together with high-ranking Nazis may have been off-loaded before the ship’s surrender on 10 July. On 23 July 1945, Time magazine wrote that an Argentine journalist reported
he had seen a Buenos Aires provincial police report to the effect that a strange submarine had surfaced off the long, lonely, lower Argentine coast, had landed a high-ranking officer and a civilian. They might have been Adolf Hitler and his wife, Eva Braun, in man's dress.
Could Hitler and Eva Braun have escaped Berlin days before their alleged suicide on April 30, 1945?

This possibility was first introduced by Stalin at Potsdam on 17 July 1945 and was compound by the fact that the Soviets, who occupied Berlin in May 1945, had difficulties in locating the bodies of Hitler and Eva Braun. In Argentina, the Navy Intelligence service had been investigating mysterious German U-boat landings since April 1945. In a report filed by navy investigator, Niceforo Alarcon, a copy of which can be retrieved from the Coordinacion Federal under the number CF-OP-2315, landings had been taking place since 1943, with Navy Lt Rudolf Freude and Eva Duarte (Eva Peron) as principal activists. The U-boats landed at a secluded spot near the village of San Clemente del Tuyu. According to author Ladislav Farago, the U-boats unloaded gold and counterfeit currency, part of Martin Bormann’s plan to fund the future survival of the Third Reich.

However, the events of Hitler’s last days in the bunker under the Chancellery are well documented by eye witness accounts. The NKVD (Soviet Secret Services) issued a preliminary report in 1946, in which it confirmed that Hitler and Eva Braun’s bodies had been dug up from a spot in the garden outside the Chancellery, where the SS had tried to bury them after setting fire to them. The NKVD funded a further investigation which produced the Operation Myth dossier, presented to Stalin in 1949. This dossier was only released in its entirety in 2005. It is based on thorough interrogations of Hitler’s assistant, Heinz Linge, and his military adjutant, Otto Günsche. The dossier confirms that Hitler and Eva Braun committed suicide on the afternoon of 30 April 1945; Hitler by cyanide capsule and a shot to the temple and Eva Braun by cyanide capsule. These accounts were later corroborated by Hitler’s secretary’s own account, Traudl Junge, who had personally typed the Fuhrer’s last will. Ms. Junge stated that she heard the shot on 30 April, whilst Otto Gunsche confirms that he tried to set fire to the bodies in the garden outside the bunker.

Aside from these eye witness accounts, there is little evidence left of Hitler’s death. The bodies dug by the Soviets in 1945 had been recognized as those of Hitler and Eva Braun by Hitler’s dentist who claimed that the dental remains of one of the skulls matched his memory of the Fuhrer’s teeth. However, the remains had be reburied and re-dug several times until they were finally destroyed in 1970. All that remained of them is the fragment of a skull (cranial vault) and pieces of the couch bearing the remains of Hitler’s blood.

Dr. Nick Bellantoni, state archeologist at the University of Connecticut was allowed access to the evidence at the Russian State archives in 2008. He was able to extract DNA samples from the skull and from the blood stains he collected from the couch fibers. Dr. Bellantoni’s first analysis suggested that the cranial vault exhibited characteristics that do not match those of a fifty-six year old male. Later, the DNA analysis proved that the skull belonged to a woman: it was not, therefore, Adolf Hitler’s as the Soviets had claimed since 1970. The blood was that of a male, but the results were inconclusive since none of Hitler’s surviving relatives accepted to take part in the test.

Some argue that Hitler may have escaped aboard Hanna Reitchs‘ plane that left Berlin on the night of 29 April, although she denied that until her death. There is evidence in FBI filings that the Bureau had been looking for Hitler in Spain, where it believed he had fled to, based on some eye witness accounts and medical files stating that Hitler had been taking large quantities of dope as prescription for tremors that he suffered from.

Whilst physical evidence is inconclusive, eye witness accounts are accurate and all corroborate the view that Hitler did commit suicide on 30 April. Escaping would not have been a choice to a man who had seen the collapse of his empire. The fact that the bodies have not been found matches Hitler’s last wish not to allow the Soviets the satisfaction of parading his remains in public, like the Italians had done with the body of Benito Mussolini in Milan. There is therefore very little chance that the Fuhrer survived the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment