07 October, 2010

07 October, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Oct 7, 1943    0720

Dear Wilma -

To prove I am not a rummy, I’m writing just as early as ever. Considering the brawl last night, it is quite a feat, dear – believe me. I am in the Dispensary now and tired, mostly in the throat though. We sang and sang – and occasionally drank. Best of all was the professional entertainment that had been arranged for. It was really good.

Today should really be closing out day and all preparations are being taken to make it that way – so that if we had to move out on the appointed day – we could. Unless something comes in today, and I don’t think it can, we’re still here, Sweetheart, and I’m not angry one bit. (The battalion as a whole is, however.)

Darling, the thought of coming up to Holyoke is extremely stimulating, and I wouldn’t believe it until I actually got there. I mentioned to Pete last night that I might if I were off – and he said he wouldn’t mind going up again at all – if he could. To be perfectly frank, dear, I’d rather see you alone, but having Pete along would help make the ride considerably shorter. I’ll speak with you tonight, darling, and hear what you have to say. We can still be alone.

As I told you on the phone – I enjoyed your last letter very much, dear, for its sincerity. I hope, too, that you continue to think mine are and that you never think they’re mushy. I’ll admit that I’ve been writing in a style I’ve never used before, and sometimes I wonder myself. But I know that I’m writing what I would say to you – and I never sounded that way to you, have I? My metamorphosis thru the mail which you have noticed, Sweetheart, is only a reflection of myself, and if you like the tone – I’m glad. Certain it is, dear, that I like yours.

I’m fortunate dear in not having as many diversions as you – because I can then concentrate on my love for you. And am I doing it! Concerning bridge – I shall learn. I suppose they’ll change the game though when I get back. I’ll teach you what I know about golf, Darling, but I warn you, there’s lots of wooded sections on a golf course – and I’ll kiss you all over the place, honestly.

I didn’t think I could write this much (oh – it’s not so long) this morning. I’m going to stop now – but I did want to say I didn’t think you were redundant in your letter. And as for being your ‘dearest’ – darling that’s what I want to be always. That, of course, would make us all even. Solong for now, Sweetheart and here’s hoping I see you Saturday. All my love

to you dear
– Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment