19 October, 2010

19 October, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
Camp Edwards, Mass
Oct. 19, 1943    0715

Dearest Girl –

It is now 0755. I got as far as the salutation and then had to see a few sick soldiers. I’m back at my desk again, dear, and will try to write fast enough to get this out in the early mail.

It was swell talking with you, darling, as it always is of course – but somehow or other, each week-end has brought us closer together, and the last week-end was certainly no hindrance. It’s been steady and gradual, and I think – sensible. So that I can’t help but experience a sense of responsibility, possession, – a “you-belong-to-me” feeling. You don’t mind, dear, do you? I hope you feel the same about me.

Ordinarily – today and yesterday would have been dull and gray. It’s raining a steady drizzle, but I don’t feel blue or lonesome, at all, dear – and I have you to thank for that.

Last night, as I told you, dear – a hike was canceled because of rain. A couple of us went to the movies at 2000. We saw “Girl Crazy” with M. Rooney and J. Garland. It was a typical musical – featuring old songs by the Gershwin Brothers. It was pretty good and had a fair amount of laughs.

I climbed into bed about 2215 and couldn’t (or wouldn’t) fall asleep. You’re really cutting down on my sleep, darling, because not only do I stay awake thinking, but I find myself waking up in the early hours of the morning – and I start where I left off the night before. But I wouldn’t miss it for anything dear.

Today – more lecturing, checking up, presenting a few cases before the C.D.D. Board (Certificate of Disability Discharge). I expect we’ll go on the hike tonite – if it stops raining.

Again, darling, no news so far this morning, and I don’t want to be quoted – but I’d just as soon never get any. But I’m afraid, dear – that the war wouldn’t be won that way. My only hope is that it won’t be as long as some of the pessimists indicate it might be. I want to come back to those I love (Oh – what a prominent place you occupy, dearest!) and get started on life with you. You know, dear – I never proposed to you formally, and I don’t think I ever will have to. But it seems to me that after going out with you about the 3rd time – I felt I’d like to marry you, and as I recall it – I told you so – in one way or another – I never dreamed, really, that I could encroach on your life, I never thought I would be so fortunate as to win your love. I’m a very lucky guy and I’m very very happy dear. I see no reason why everything shouldn’t work out the way we want it to, God-willing. Anyway I pray for it every night, and I feel that although I haven’t been the best man in the Lord’s eyes I can’t be very bad fundamentally – and that therefore my prayers will be answered.

Well, Sweetheart – I’d better stop and get this mailed. I’ll call you at 2200 tonite and I do love you more and more each day, dear.

My deepest love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment