26 October, 2010

26 October, 1943

570th AAA AW BN (SP)
Scorton’s Neck
Oct. 26, 1943    1110

Dearest Sweetheart –

I’ve been wanting to write you all morning, but I haven’t had the time – and it really didn’t make any difference because the mail hasn’t gone out. That includes the letter I wrote you yesterday p.m. They’ll both be taken back to Camp and mailed this afternoon, before 1630 I hope.

I was only a few minutes late for the meeting last night, darling, but I didn’t get very much out of it anyway. I was still thinking about you or us and about our telephone conversation. I had a little difficulty in hearing you, dear, but I did hear you say “yes” to a very very important question. It makes me very happy, darling; I didn’t mean to sound conceited when I said I knew you would. I meant only that I loved you so much that I wouldn’t give up until you said ‘yes’ – even if it meant almost squeezing you into a pulp; which reminds me of this paper I’m writing on. Isn’t it peachy?

Well – after the meeting, dear, I went back to the dispensary and fooled around with my radio which wasn’t functioning too well. By the time I got it working again it was 2145 and I got ready for bed.

I got up about 0730 and for the first time in 3 or 4 nites I didn’t cough at all. I believe I dreamed about you most of the night and it was all very nice!

About 0930 I made kitchen inspection, and by 438th standards, all the kitchens were poor. I informed the Col. (his name is Rose – not J. and from Kansas) about them and he admitted that he had had trouble with them. So I’m to give the battery commander, mess officer and mess sergeants the ‘benefit of my experience’ and speak to them all in a group. (The Col. had heard that the 438th had been commended by the General on its sanitary status.) Incidentally – I’m considered a veteran by the other officers, in view of my field experience, and I’m continually answering a variety of questions. Boy am I important! I’d rather be important in Salem, though.

That reminds me, I haven’t contacted anyone there and I won’t until I find out whether or not I’m to stay here. If so – maybe we can start visiting there again, huh?

Concerning my new Col – I still don’t know much about him of course, dear – but from the way he talked this morning, I think he’ll be very cooperative.

As plans are now, darling, we’ll be in Camp – or garrison as its called, for the rest of the week. Monday we go out on a 5 day problem. I don’t know anything about the dispensary schedule, but you can be sure, dear, that if it’s at all possible – I’ll be off. In that case, and even at the cost of several C stickers, I’ll try to come up to Holyoke. I’ll have to start taking it easy on my stickers soon, darling, as long as I’m going to be around. That means no extraneous driving for me when I’m not seeing you, how’s that?

Well, darling, I have to make some preparations for our move back this afternoon so I better stop now. I plan to call you Wed. at 1900, so until then, dear

All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment