03 February, 2011

03 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
3 February, 1944 1125
Darling Wilma -

Today is 19 months in the Army for me and I certainly hope and feel that by far – my longest stay in the Army is behind me. As I once wrote you, dear, I can’t seem to realize that I’ve been away from Salem for so long. I guess I’ve thought about my days there so much, that when I return I’ll be able to pick up the routine without any trouble at all. And in addition, darling, I’ll have you – as an added feature! Sounds like a prize, dear, doesn’t it? Well – in a way it is – and I consider myself very lucky to win you Sweetheart.

Again I’m trying to get my letter started to you before lunch – because I expect to be busy this afternoon. I haven’t heard from you for a few days now, dear, but I expect I will soon. I’m a little bit accustomed to waiting now – and your picture has helped immensely. When I get the least bit blue, I look up at you and there you are looking back at me – it’s almost as if you were in the same room with me in person. I know, dear – but a fellow has to use his imagination a little, doesn’t he?


Wallet-size photo of Wilma

Yesterday, late p.m. I had to go to the Red Cross Hq. in the nearest town – on business. Jim Copleston came along – and we then looked for a place to eat. Although it was or is a pretty good sized town, we couldn’t get anything to eat – so we went back to the Red Cross and ate there. While there I learned that R.C. had several golf bags and golf balls available for anyone who wants to use them – and also – that there was an 18 hole golf course not far away. I don’t know if I’ll get a chance to play or not – but if we stay around here – the weather will soon be very good for it. Gotta go now – darling – will start later –

1800
Dearest –

A couple of inspectors were down this p.m. and I haven’t been able to get back until now. About the Red Cross: the son of the director, a Corporal Armstrong, was visiting his Dad. The boy is on transport duty and travels between the States and here; when he gets to England – he always gets a chance to visit his father. Well – darling – I asked him to call you up and say ‘hello’ the next time he hits Boston. I gave him your phone number and also my folks’ number and I hope he doesn’t forget. Incidentally – I asked him to swap jobs with me – but he said ‘no’.

After we ate, dear, there was nothing to do. I’m not fond of going to pubs – they’re just ordinary drinking places. We found that there was a vaudeville show at a place called the Hippodrome. Having seen the two movies in town: “Dodge City” with Errol Flynn, and “Claudia” – we decided upon the vaudeville – knowing well that at best it would be corny. It was. But it was diverting, nevertheless. The chorus consisted of 8 girls, there were the usual comedians, one comedienne – and some slapstick stuff. It lasted from 2000 to 2200 and then we came back to camp. The whole evening cost 3 shillings – so I didn’t go very wrong, dear.

This evening is very quiet here. There’s only one other fellow around. When I finish writing you, dear. I’ll read awhile and then go to bed. Right now my radio is playing some very soft music and I feel miles and miles away from here right now.

I didn’t hear from you today – as I mentioned above – and I’m still anxious to find out more about your job. I hope it isn’t too taxing, darling, and is not tiring you out. You’ve got to be nice and fresh when I get back now – don’t forget.

I’ll close now, Sweetheart, since there’s nothing more right now to write you. I love you, dear – love you and want you. Are you remembering that at all times? I hope it gives you the lift that your loving me gives to me. So long for now – darling – and for the time being –

All my Love
Greg.

* TIDBIT *

about The Hippodrome

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

The Hippodrome as it was at 46 St. Nicholas Street, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK © Copyright Heritage-Images


Postcard of The Hippodrome

The Hippodrome, built by architect Frank Matcham in the Art Nouveau style, had 1100 seats. According to Ken Roe at Cinema Treasures, The Hippodrome Theatre was opened on the 25th of October, 1905. Patrons were seated in orchestra stalls and a single balcony. There were no boxes. The proscenium [stage area between the curtain and the orchestra] was 30 feet wide and the stage 25 feet deep, with five dressing rooms. It was a variety theater and became part of the E.H. Bostock chain of variety theaters about eight years after opening

Films were shown as part of the variety program from the early years. In 1929 it was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas chain, and became a full time cinema, although some stage shows were retained in the programming. The Hippodrome was later operated by Regis Entertainments, and from September 1965, it was run by an independent operator and returned to live theater use. The Hippodrome Theatre was closed in April 1957.

In 1958, under new owners, the exterior was modernized, and the stalls-floor leveled. It became the Savoy Ballroom from June 1959. In the late-1960's it became a bingo club, operated as a Top Rank Bingo Club and the original Frank Matcham decorations were removed, apart from the ceiling, leaving a rather plain auditorium. Bingo ceased in the early-1980's.

The building was demolished in 1985, and an office block named Cardinal House was built on the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment