22 February, 2011

22 February, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
22 February, 1944       1300
My dearest Sweetheart -

Washington’s Birthday, I believe – and just another day here. Yet I feel particularly happy today because yesterday I received your letter of February 9th in which you answer a question I put before you some time before then – by mail. At the moment, the details seem insignificant, darling; the fact is that you are willing to be engaged to me, and that’s what counts.

Let me answer an important question right away. You ask why I decided I’d like to be engaged, now that I’m away. One thing you must remember, darling, and that is that I felt I’d like to be engaged to you before I left – but I didn’t want you or your folks to think I was rushing into things. I’d have liked nothing better though, I can assure you, dear, because I knew then that you were the girl I’d like to marry.

I knew your age, dear; I felt your folks believed you were young, hadn’t seen too much of the world, etc., – and if we spoke to them about an Engagement, I knew they would resent it – and rightly so, too.

Besides all that, despite your statements, which I always believed, mind you, – I still didn’t think it fair to “tie you up”, so to speak – without giving yourself a chance to really see how you felt. I was seeing you a lot, paying you a good deal of attention and I wondered just how you would feel after I was gone. You can understand that, dear, can’t you?

Well, why mention it now, then? Darling – I’ve wanted to mention it several times – but made myself wait. I don’t know now whether or not I brought the subject up too soon. I do know that more than three months have elapsed since we said ‘au revoir’ and I feel the way I did before I left, and what is more importantly, you do, too. I said in a letter recently, each passing day, week or month in which we still feel as if we were meant for each other – gives our love more stability, dignity and meaning. If you can continue to be interested in me even though I’m so far away, if I can still feel that no other girl can mean anything to me but you, darling – than the subject of Engagement begins to make more and more sense, not only to us, but to our folks and everyone else.

Now – as to details – that’s another question altogether. First of all – it would certainly be nice to have our folks meet. It’s a rather difficult thing to do, I know, with me away, – but then – these are unusual times. The less formal the meeting the better, I would say off hand. I wish my folks had gone into your house that night they brought you home – but knowing my mother – I can understand. My father is much more free and easy. Perhaps the next time you visit my folks darling, you can get them to go in. I’ll mention it to them when I write, too. I honestly don’t know any other way, right now – do you? After they’ve met once – my folks will invite yours down, vice versa – and presto – they know each other. I know dear that it’s not as easy as all that, but what can I do from here? You will just have to be a liason officer – as the Army would put it.

Now, actually, how about your folks? Do they really feel that I want to marry you, or is it only your side of the question that they really appreciate? Of course – if I were in Boston – I would speak to your parents and tell them I wanted to marry you, believed I could provide you with the things you were accustomed to have, and more than all that, that I could make you happy, as my wife. I would tell them I was aware of our age difference, but that in knowing you – I never felt that you were so much younger – or I so much older. I would make them see, dear, that we were compatible and that I thought we were matched. Telling them that, darling, would be easy, I think – although I suppose I might feel somewhat meek when I was actually doing it.

Writing to your Dad – is different. For one thing, I’d hate to be premature about it and therefore put him on the spot as what to answer me. I really don’t know how to tackle that angle – although the old maxim went ‘faint heart never won fair maiden’. Can you give me just a little more inclination as to what you think would be the best approach, sweetheart?

Now suppose we finally exchange our ideas and your folks consent? They would realize that it was not just a passing romance and that we really wanted to get married. Then I don’t think it would be a crazy idea, after all, to become engaged. The fact is that it should be an Engagement and not a marriage. To make myself perfectly clear, darling, I mean just this: I am after all – a soldier now, and as such – anything can happen to me before war’s end. I might not come back, or I might not come back the way I’d like to. I am not being dramatic, sweetheart, as you know. What I’m driving at is that being engaged is not like being married. You haven’t completely committed yourself – and if anything should happen to me – I guess you know that in one case I couldn’t marry you and in another I wouldn’t want to. If your folks understand how I feel about the matter – perhaps they will understand more easily that I’m not trying to rush things, pin you down – or any other such thing, Sweetheart. I don’t like to write so coldly, but I love you darling and must have you know my every thought.

Assuming then that everything was understood – the next logical step would be for me to give you a ring – and how I’d love to do that! I don’t know your taste on that matter, sweetheart. Some girls like to pick their rings, others – to be surprised. The point is my father’s a peach along those lines and I know he’d get one for me. I have the money for it and I’d love to spend it on you. As for announcing it – never having been engaged before, dear – I know little about it. I believe girls do, though – and you can tell me about it.

Now – after what you’ve read, have I answered some of your questions? Does it still seem too difficult? Do you think we can do it? I’ll await your reply eagerly darling, because nothing has excited me in my life – so much as this thought. However – if you feel we ought to wait, I’m going to leave that up to you, dear, until such a time as you think it would be better. For me – the sooner the better!

Darling the very thought thrills me, and I can’t wait until I hear from you again. All else – including the war – seems unimportant. Your mention of Stan as a “pest” and hounding you – I discussed in yesterday’s letter. Please, dear, why don’t you just tell him not to bother you, call you etc.? I hope you’re not going out with him. Tell him we’re to be engaged – See if that makes any difference.

I’ll stop now, darling, and I do hope to hear from you soon – in answer to this letter. Best regards to your folks. Will you tell them about this letter, dear, and see what they say?

So long, dear, and

All my love is yours
Greg
P.S. I’ll drop Bea a note –
Thanks for her address

No comments:

Post a Comment