01 February, 2011

01 February, 1944

[Note from FOURTHCHILD: This letter was begun on 31 January, 1944 but finished and mailed the next day, 1 February.]
438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
31 January, 1944   1930
My dearest darling -

I wrote you earlier today – but since then I received a letter from you which I felt like answering now. I may not finish it – as I have some records to take care of tonight, but I just felt in the mood for speaking with you.

Darling – it was a letter of January 7 that I got today; I have had some later ones; but this one was the type of letter that never seems dated – Dear – when you feel very blue or lonesome, please don’t take it out on anyone else but me. It’s not fair to your folks, sweetheart, and it will only make them unhappy to see you that way. They cannot realize that deep down where it can’t be seen or described you have a sensation which really keeps you closer to me than to anyone else in the world. When you feel like that, dear, tell me and to everyone else keep a stiff upper lip. The fact is I do understand because I feel the way you do – so often. But it is not a sensation of despair; it’s just such an intense longing for fulfillment of your thoughts, pictures and dreams. Darling – when you fell blue – tell me – and rather than making me feel blue too – it merely has the effect of bringing us closer together. I then tell myself that if you feel the way I do – and your letter proves it – then you must care for me with the same burning desire that I do for you – and knowing that, dear, is a very helpful thought to fall back on. Dearest – never hesitate to tell me how you feel – however often – will you?

I try and shall continue to try to let you know how much I love you, care for you and miss you. I tell you a lot of minuscule detail of what goes on around here, dear, – but only to give you a picture of my stay in England. Actually, sweetheart, one thought possesses me – only one, and that thought is of you and me after the war, married and happy. It must be!

I’ll stop now, dear, until tomorrow probably – but I had to tell you how I felt after reading your letter. Goodnite for now darling.

Tuesday, 1 February, 1944   1300
Sweetheart –

The best gift in the world that I could have received on my Birthday – was your picture. And wasn’t it strange that it should arrive just on my Birthday? I’m afraid I’ll wear it out if I continue to look at it so hard and as often as I have since yesterday, dear. I’ve got it sitting in such a position that you look at me every time I enter or leave the room. Naturally I say “hello, darling” and “see you soon, darling” each time I pass you – and just as naturally the boys think I’m cracked. But I’m not, dear, really. I don’t know how I got along without the picture so long – I feel so close to you having it to look at.

Dearest – the way you write about ‘my’ sweater, I can’t help but laugh. You tell me you’re knitting it like ‘mad’ – as if you wanted to be sure about getting it done before the war is over! Well – there’s no harm in being ready, is there, dear? I shall be proud of it, darling, I know. As for your socks – I do wear them – but infrequently. They’re too darn good for the field. I wore them when I went to the Officers’ Club evenings – more than I do now. Frankly – I’m saving them. But I see them often, darling, and I think of you – and last fall and school. I keep them now – since they were last washed – in a compartment of my Val-a-pac – where my handkerchiefs are – so I see them every day, at least.

Wilma, dear, you do belong to me, make no mistake about it, engaged or not. You can’t belong to anyone else – not the way we feel about each other. I also wish we had been engaged, and although I have not yet received an answer to my letter of some time ago about getting engaged – I’ll mention it again, daring. Do you think it would be possible to do so? I really mean it! After all – it’s a question of the way we feel about each other – that counts, and since we do feel this way why shouldn’t we do the normal thing? The fact that I’m over here makes no difference to me at all. As a matter of fact – I was reluctant to bring the subject to a head while we were together – because of the short time we knew each other. Every day, week and month that goes by and finds us still caring as much and more – adds stability and longevity to our love and makes an engagement sound more sensible. I hope you don’t think I’m completely batty, darling. Let me hear from you on this subject, dear.

The next week or so I’m going to be pretty busy for a change. My detachment is to have a proficiency test – physical, medical, and tactical and it behooves me to do a lot of teaching, training etc. No letter today, dear, but yesterday’s was so sweet, I’ll keep reading it today and besides – I have your picture to look at. You’ll never realize what that picture has done for me – in so short a time. Darling – if the picture can talk after the war – it will tell you how often I spoke to it and the things I said. I think you’d like to hear it.

Incidentally – I’m still tallying the missed kisses and the total is now 4850. Boy! Oh Boy!

Darling, that’s all for now. I’ll write again tomorrow – and remember that I love you as strongly as you love me – and I believe that is very very strong. So long, dear and

All my love
Greg.
Regards!
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment