10 March, 2011

10 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
10 March, 1944       1400
Dearest sweetheart –

My lips are sorer right now than they’ve been for several months. Now! Now! Don’t you go jumping at conclusions, darling. It is not due to kissing! This morning I went into the neighboring towns and of all things – I bought a clarinet; price – second hand, good wood, fair condition – 10 pounds or $40.35. I hope you don’t think I’m crazy, dear. I’ve had so much time to myself and I get so lonesome at times – I got to thinking about it and decided it might help while away some hours. I have just spent the past one and one-half hours blowing, pushing, squeaking and swearing – and I’m ready to leave the thing alone for the rest of the day. But it did feel good to run up and down the scales and squeak through a few tunes. The fingering is a little bit different on this clarinet – so I’m having a little fun finding the notes; no neighbors around to interfere – so what do I care?

Sweetheart – in one of your letters you mentioned hearing a good many things about me from my mother. I don’t doubt you’ll learn lots about me from her that you wouldn’t from me – but remember, darling, she’s prejudiced and I’m not the angel she must make me out to be. She does love me, though, like no mother I know likes her son; certainly more so than any of my friend’s mothers like their sons – as far as I’ve been able to see. And I shall always appreciate it, I know, because I realize how much she means to me – although – as is usually the case, I don’t believe I’ve ever told her in so many words.

And so you’re afraid I might possibly be ungentle with you, dearest! Now – you know I couldn’t be. When I asked you whether you get black and blue very easily – I was just wondering – that’s all. As for spending a week, a month or a year, darling, loving you – that suits me to a T – but we’ll spend the rest of ours lives doing that too.

And I’m so glad, dear, that you are getting fond of my mother. I knew you would though, because I thought I knew you – and I did know my mother. It’s so nice to know that you two are getting to know each other – and I prayed for that, too. I think you’ll always love her and find her the most lovable mother-in-law a girl could have. She’s so unlike others I’ve known – and I think it’s a great help to a young wife – not to be troubled with in-laws – on top of the usual problems of adjustment.

Say – that sounds interesting – your chance of being a counselor – I mean. I wonder what you’re going to do? It would probably be a pleasant way to spend the summer – but wouldn’t you be lonesome? Where is the camp, by the way?

I also found interesting your news about Gilda Jauron and Eve Holland. I remember them both very well – from Winthrop – where Stan and I met them. They were both good company and Stan – for a while – was very much “in love” with Eve; but that died the usual death, too. My having almost met you is strange, dear, isn’t it? But of course – you were only a kid, then, darling (ahem) – and – well, you know. Incidentally – I don’t seem to remember Edna and I can’t imagine what picture of Stan and me she’s got. And what’s happened to Eve? Did she re-marry?

Well – Sweetheart have I told you I loved you, recently? If not – I do !! Your only rival now is the clarinet – which is so hard to hug though. I miss you, darling, so very much and will never be really happy until I have you with me all the time. Gosh, dear, we’ll be happy together – and it’s so difficult to wait.

So long for now, darling and
All my love is yours
Greg
Regards to everyone
Love
G.

* TIDBIT *

about Clarinet Inspiration
from Benny Goodman


playing "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" in 1942



By the way, that performance was no fluke!
Here he is again, playing "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" in 1980


No comments:

Post a Comment