14 March, 2011

14 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
14 March, 1944        1545
My dearest sweetheart –

No letter today – but I really didn’t expect one in view of the three rather recent ones yesterday. Anyway – there was enough material in them to give me pleasant thoughts for some time, darling. The more I think of us and our engagement-to-be, the happier I feel about it. It’s going to be a wonderful feeling to know that you are really destined to be mine alone – and I hope the same thought – from your side of the fence – gives you the same satisfying reaction that I get, dear.

Last night – after seeing “Stage Door Canteen” here – and for the second time – I came back to my quarters and wrote a couple of more letters to catch up with my correspondence. I wrote one to a Dr. Curtis in Salem – one of the older doctors who was very helpful to me; then I wrote to a friend of mine who is a warrant officer with an AA unit in Italy. I had just heard from him. They really had it quite tough – but one thing the Army does is to move an outfit back after it has hard going for a month or two. His outfit was being moved back for a rest – and he was really looking forward to it. I also wrote Stan a V-mail asking him why I hadn’t heard from him. I rather think, dear, it’s because of the Shirley affair – which he must be finding difficult to tell me about. His previous letter had told me how well they were getting along. At any rate to make it somewhat easier for him, I told him you had intimated that things weren’t going so well and I wrote him that if he stopped seeing her, he certainly must know what he’s doing.

This morning, darling, I went up to headquarters to see the colonel and talk over a few things. One thing turned up yesterday of some interest. I got a letter from the General of our Brigade – thru channels – to the group to which we belong and then to my colonel and finally to me – stating that I was to perform the monthly physicals and do the sanitary inspections hereafter, at Brigade headquarters. I don’t even know the General and why they picked me out of perhaps 16 or 17 medical officers – I don’t know. It doesn’t mean much – except that I’m now responsible for a few more inspections and reports. I shall probably go up to Brigade next Monday and look things over.

While up at battalion headquarters – dear, I went over to see Pete and formally gave him your regards. I told him you never fail to mention him and he was pleased. I also told him how well we were getting along and that I thought we’d be engaged soon – he was glad to hear that. He insists he’ll come to the wedding and get pie-eyed – which is O.K. with me.

When I got back here – about an hour ago – I found only one letter – from Frank Morse. As yet we haven’t been able to get together. His hospital – the 16th General – has been moving around and has finally settled down. His APO is now 526 – which doesn’t mean much necessarily. I don’t think he’s near me because he said he had been off last weekend and spent it in Manchester – which is quite the opposite direction from me. Anyway – we’re going to try and get together the beginning of next month.

I never did tell you, sweetheart, that I was happy to hear that you had received the charm. I’m glad you were able to devise a way of wearing it – and I’m glad you like it. You made some mention of being afraid to break it – while fixing the pin. I don’t know if you were referring to the pin or heart – The latter, darling, is unbreakable, made out of plexi-glass which is used in Flying Fortresses – so don’t worry about that. I was sorry to hear that one of the martini glasses was broken. The largest one was from the Astor – in New York and we’ll get another – after the war. The one with the D is from the Dorchester – a really swank London hotel and the plain one is from the Grosvenor House in London – equally exclusive. I’m glad you like the ash-tray from the Trocadero. I’m afraid it will be difficult to get another cup and saucer from the RAF – but I’ll give it a try. Meanwhile – here and there I’m picking up more junk and if I get anything of interest – I’ll send another package, dear.


RAF Cup and Saucer

Well – sweetheart, I guess that will be all for now. I’ve been away all day so far and I want to see how things are at the dispensary. I’m extremely anxious to hear how things are going back home with you, my folks and yours. I’m becoming understandably impatient – at this point and I’ll be that way until I can really call you my wife-to-be. Until tomorrow, darling – so long and you have

My sincerest love
Greg
P.S. Regards to your family
Love,
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment