11 March, 2011

11 March, 1944 (to her Mother)

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
11 March, 1944
Dear Mrs. B. –

I got your very sweet letter of February 28th yesterday. The earlier one was waiting for me when I got back from my leave – and I can’t understand why it took so long in getting here.

I’ve been waiting to write both you and Mr. B. for some time now – about various things concerning Wilma and myself – but if it’s hard to discuss certain matters in person, believe me – it is much more difficult to do it by mail.

You know of course how happy I’ve been since meeting Wilma; you must know by now that I’ve grown to love her very deeply and sincerely. What you probably don’t know is – how much. I appreciate the understanding and broadmindedness which both you and Mr. B. have shown concerning the two of us. When I first met Wilma and went out with her, I was just another fellow. But when I continued to see more and more of her, I couldn’t help wondering what you were thinking. It would have been the most natural thing in the world to have advised her that I was – after all – a soldier, ready for overseas duty, etc., etc. – That you didn’t resent my attention to your daughter, was admirable on your part – and I shall always be grateful to both of you for it.

Wilma, I believe, loves me. She’s younger than I am and I didn’t want to put ideas into her head that both of us might be sorry for. Frankly – I thought that when I left – she might drift away from me, and understandably so. Although she is younger than I in years – she is really very womanly, and now that several months have elapsed – we are more and more having time and endurance on our side

As far as I’m concerned – she is without doubt – the girl I would like to marry when I return home, and no doubt by now you must have drawn that conclusion. Now I know the usual thing is for the fellow to approach the parents and ask permission. I don’t intend to be unusual – even though these are such unusual times. As far as we’ve gone, though, I think we’ve been quite conventional, Wilma and I – for first of all – the fellow and girl must feel sure of themselves – before they bother their parents about things.

I’m glad you met my parents and I hope you get to like them. Every son feels his parents are swell, and I’m no different. They’ve always been plain sincere folks and I love them for it. That they love your daughter should be plain to you. She certainly stole her way into their hearts – and I don’t get a letter from home that doesn’t mention her, with a blessing attached. I’m so glad that they get along so well, because I know how essential that is.

And how about my relationship with you two? Well I admit I’m rather undemonstrative – on the surface, and words of endearment don’t flow from me as they do from some fellows’ lips. However – I know you’ll find that what I do say is sincerely meant. I liked both you and Mr. B. the first time I really met you. It was in short bursts – so to speak – at first, because I remember I would barge in, help Wilma with her coat, exchange a few words – and bingo! Off we’d go. But it’s been my business in a way to draw conclusions and make up my mind. I wasn’t wrong. I grew more and more fond of spending time with all of you – and I regret we didn’t have more of it to spend together.

Well – having surveyed Wilma, myself, my parents and hers – I may have taken a lot for granted. I hope not. I hope also that you don’t resent my sort of adding things up. I merely want Wilma’s parents to realize that I’m not a fly-by-night, but that I’ve put a lot of thought into the whole matter.

I suppose I’ve sounded painfully formal so far – and yet I don’t feel so at all; but I know you’ll make allowances. The crux of the whole thing is that I love Wilma, I believe she loves me – and that I hope to marry her – with your permission. We’ve discussed being engaged – even though we hadn’t asked you your opinion or permission, – but blame it on the times. How foolish it would be to become engaged now – I honestly can’t judge from this distance. The fact is I trust Wilma implicitly – but I’m proud of her love as I hope she is of mine – and if so – and with her parents willing – I don’t really see why we can’t be formal about it. As I said earlier in this now lengthy letter – with every passing month – we have time – on our side.

I suppose I’d better stop about at this point. I sincerely hope that neither you nor Mr. B. thinks it presumptuous of me to have brought this matter up in such a way – but it’s the only way now. When I heard you had met my folks and apparently had got along, when you wrote how much my father cared for Wilma – and when you wanted to know my opinion of you – well – I just had to write now what I’d been wanting to write for a long time. The truth is I’d be proud to be able to call you ‘Mother and Dad’, believe me, and my one goal would be to make you love me as you do Wilma.

I do hope that things work out for the best. I’m praying for it – at any rate. Until later then – best regards and so long for now.

As ever
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment