11 March, 2011

11 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
11 March, 1944           1115
My dearest darling –

I’m so happy about things that I feel like shouting out loud most of the time. As a result – the house that I’m living in is in a constant state of noise, cheering, turmoil and general confusion. The other fellows think I’m crazy – but they help at it just the same.

I’m happy because I’m in love and because I know you love me. I keep telling myself how lucky I am – in these times – to be able to develop that love – even at a great distance; your cooperation and initiative have been beyond my expectations and how I can ever make up to you for it – I don’t know sweetheart. All I know is that I’ve never felt as content in my life, at a time when most soldiers are discontent. When I wrote in yesterday’s letter that it was so difficult waiting – I didn’t mean to leave the impression I was complaining. What I meant was that with someone like you waiting for me, dearest, it was difficult for me to contain myself here.

The fact that our folks have met and apparently get along makes me very happy – and to have arranged it was a wonderful thing on your part. You’ve got courage, spirit and confidence – and I admire those qualities in a woman. I can well imagine that you were nervous; I’d have been too. It’s a natural reaction. But with me away in addition – you must be a natural diplomat to have done so well – and you no doubt will make an excellent doctor’s wife. Let me tell you too, darling, that that is very important – because I know of cases where a doctor’s practice has suffered due to his wife’s ability to bungle things up in general. I need not fear on that account – anyway.

You mention that rumor has it that we’re pretty well set – you and I – and since that is so – it is not a smear. I don’t care who knows it; I want everyone to, and when we’re engaged, everyone will! There doesn’t seem to be any doubt at all in my mind that we will be soon, too, and that fact makes me happy. God – if only I could have been around longer! But God has been kind to us – and we must be thankful for that fact. I’d have been a much different man than I am now – had I not met you, sweetheart. Instead of an empty existence, my life – though I’m at war – is very full – of plans, of the future – of us.

I so hope that our folks get along and will continue to do so. I want them to – see no reason why they shouldn’t. I’ll say this for both sets – they showed a broadmindedness in meeting each other – with me away – that is extremely commendable and admirable. I think your folks were swell to invite mine over and then to visit my folks. The situation was – after all – unusual, and to go through with it – is something that I’ll always be indebted to them for.


Greg's parents (1949)


Wilma's parents (1946)

Anyway – Sweetheart – as I see things from here – everything is going along in the right direction – and it ought to continue the same way. My life is yours and will be so for always. Of that I’m certain. No one can mean anything to me but you, and my every plan is now our every plan. That has been so for some time now – but I must keep telling you that. A moment of the day never goes by without the thought of you on my mind – as to what you’re doing, thinking, saying etc. I picture you with me so often – that in reality – it’s sometimes powerful when I awake and find that I have to wait awhile for the full realization of that experience. But I know I can do it with ease, for I love you, darling, with every faculty that I possess – and believe me – that’s a lot. You shall be my fiancĂ©e, then my wife – and then my constant and lasting sweetheart and companion.

I’ll have to stop here, darling, but I’ll write tomorrow. Best regards to your folks – whom I’m growing to love more and more. Until later –

All my deepest love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment