13 March, 2011

13 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
13 March, 1944            1300
My dearest darling –

I’m so thrilled at the letters I’ve just received that I hardly know what to say. I’m so in love with you and so thrilled at the thought of our being engaged – that I hardly know how to act. I received your letters of Feb 28, 29, and March 1 and you wrote just what I wanted to hear – that things were progressing in the right direction for us, that the chances of actually becoming engaged looked better and better – and that my folks were all for it. The latter fact I was sure of anyway – but my feeling was strengthened by a letter from my father which I also received today. It was not his response to a letter I had sent and which the folks haven’t received as yet, but he intimated he knew what was going on, was very happy, as was my mother – and he wanted to know how he could help. You can see, sweetheart, why I feel so happy.

As regards your folks, darling, as I told you yesterday, I’ve written them and told them how I felt about you and what I wanted to do. I’m afraid I didn’t go into enough detail about various matters – like being able to provide for you, for example. Somehow, dear, I don’t have any doubt about being able to do that – although I admit it’s a much different proposition taking care of a wife than just yourself. But one thing I’ve never lacked is confidence – and in medicine, that’s very important. I think, darling, that I’ll be able to take care of you properly. How tough it will be – building a practice all over again – I can’t say – but if you’re not afraid, I assure you I’m not. I’ve got enough money to get us started and carry us along until my income increases. That’s one thing about medicine – you don’t start off with a fixed salary; you start from zero. But the other side of it is that there’s no ceiling on your salary later.

In getting started again – I will first of all buy a car. I have enough office furniture, equipment and instruments to fit my office. I still have a license to practice, darling. So all we’ll need is a place to live and some furnishings for it – and I can take care of that too. Above and beyond all that – we’ll have each other – and who can hold us back?

Sweetheart – I am now formally asking you to be engaged to me – so that we can be married as soon after I return home as is practicable. My father and mother, meanwhile, will carry on for me – from this point – and I shall so write them today. I will of course hope to hear from your folks that they approve. I hope they don’t think I was too stiff and formal in the way I wrote them. I didn’t want to be – but darling, I could have done so much better in person!

If I could only hold you in my arms and kiss you and place a ring on your finger myself – I would be so happy, dearest, – but we’re doing the best we can under the circumstances I feel – don’t you, dear?

Gosh I can hardly bear the delay in the exchanges of mail. I so want everything to go along smoothly and simply. I want to have you tell me you’re wearing my ring and that you are really my fiancĂ©e. That will be a happy day for me – darling!

I’m going to stop now – and write my folks – and probably yours, too. Our colonel is expected down soon and I want to get out of my quarters before he arrives – since these are ‘working’ hours.

So until tomorrow sweetheart, so long and my sincerest wishes that all turns out well in our plans and speedily.

My deepest love, darling
Greg.
P.S. I can’t understand why Stan hasn’t called, either. Despite my feelings at the time – I wrote nothing about that – just general news. I haven’t heard from him – in a long while now.
Love,
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment