17 March, 2011

17 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 527 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
17 March, 1944      0930
My dearest darling Wilma –

Last night I missed you terribly. The evening was long and my thoughts of you were vivid, dear. I felt like writing you but had I – I think my letter would have sounded too lonesome – so I waited until this morning. Oh yes – sweetheart – I miss you in the daytime, too – in every move I make, in every thought I think – but as you certainly know yourself, the evenings are worse.

I’m at the Dispensary now, darling, and everything is “spit and polish” in readiness for the inspecting general who should be here in about one hour – I believe. Then we can go on with our routine. I suppose it’s blasphemy or some such word to say this – but I actually think that the progress of the war is being held up by such things as frequent inspections – in which every normal process comes to a standstill and everyone prepares for an inspection which is usually very cursory and of necessity – superficial. What is more aggravating is the fact that from all reports we get from Italy – the same goes on right up to the front lines. To me – our Army is still just a paper Army, stickling in our details, reports, channels, and the next “higher authority”. I suppose all Armies are like that – but I’m speaking from my own observation.

Now how did I get on that subject again, Sweetheart? I didn’t mean to start on another discourse about inspections – but I see and feel red every time one comes up – and not because they affect us so much – but because of what the line batteries have to go through.

Yesterday I had my hair cut and very short, too! (What do you mean! Shorter than it was?) Yes, dear – very short. It’s cleaner for one thing and who knows – it might grow in better. Anyway, I don’t care much how it looks while I’m over here. I’ll have to get good first hand knowledge on the Armistice, though, so I can start letting it grow in advance.

About that Zippo lighter – I’ll hold on to it, then, dear – and if I can get around to it, I’ll send it home. And – darling – I believe I’m just getting around to thanking you for the pictures you sent. I love the one in the cap and gown – and the ones of you when you were younger, dear, are very sweet. You were really a good-looking child, weren’t you? (What! No statement about the present?) No! Do you think I want to spoil you sweetheart? I’ll take good care of them.

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Wilma as a Child

You asked me about wrestling. I don’t like it either – but not because it sickens me particularly. I think it’s always been a farce in Boston and not on the level. I’ll wrestle you – though – darling – and no holds barred. Also – no tickling!

I was re-reading your letter in which you mentioned Shirley F. Did you get together with her? I think that whole affair was weird – on retrospect, and just who was actually to blame for letting things go as far as they did – is hard to say from here. I’m inclined to think it was Shirley’s fault – because way back last summer Stan was quite serious in his attentions to her and I know he made that clear to her. Why in the world she didn’t stop seeing him then – I don’t know – but she let him go on taking her out, she continued to be seen everywhere with him – etc. It’s too bad nothing came of it – and yet I feel that it wouldn’t have been a good match. Do you agree? I still haven’t heard from Stan – and I hope it’s not because of anything I wrote him – although I admit that from what I gathered in your letters – I didn’t like his actions.

Anyway – it’s you I’m concerned about, Sweetheart, and as long as we’re in love and progressing in it – selfish as it may sound – I’m very happy. I keep asking myself if it’s really true that you and I have come along so closely together – so that we want to become engaged. I just feel so lucky to have a girl like you in love with me – that I don’t know how to react, almost. But I do know that you’ve made me happier than I’ve ever been – darling – I mean truly and deep-seatedly happy – and I hope I shall always be able to make you feel the same way. I’ll stop now, dear – the General should be here momentarily. I’m anxiously awaiting each day’s mail and I do want to call you my fiancĂ©e as soon as possible. Best regards, dear and my love is yours forever

Greg
P.S. I do love you!! Love G.

* TIDBIT *

about Zippo Lighters

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE
  

George G. Blaisdell founded Zippo Manufacturing Company in 1932, and produced the first Zippo lighter in early 1933, having acquired the patent of an Austrian cigarette lighter of similar design. He redesigned the case, attaching the lid to the bottom with a hinge, but kept the windproof chimney surrounding the wick. It got its name because Blaisdell admired the recently invented "zipper" and liked the sound of its name. As a final touch, Blaisdell guaranteed it to last a lifetime. On March 3, 1936, patent was granted for the Zippo lighter.

No other event in history increased the popularity of Zippo lighters more than World War II. From 1943 until the end of World War II, Zippo's entire production was shipped to Army Exchanges and Naval ship stores for the soldiers in combat around the world.

Because brass and chrome were in short supply, World War II Zippo windproof lighters were made with a porous steel. To prevent rusting and  to keep them from reflecting light, they were then coated with a thick black paint that was baked to a black crackle finish. This produced a rough surface that distinguished it as a World War II lighter. The inside unit was also different from today's standard issue Zippo lighters, as straight flat sides met the front and back surfaces with squared edges. The chimney had fewer holes, and a hollow rivet held the striking wheel in place.

Ernie Pyle, embedded WWII correspondent, wrote: “If I were to tell you how much these Zippos are coveted at the front and the gratitude and delight with which the boys receive them, you would probably accuse me of exaggeration. I truly believe that the Zippo lighter is the most coveted thing in the army.”

It’s estimated that there are some four million Zippo collectors in the United States and millions more around the world. Their fervor and dedication to the brand is unparalleled. To enhance the collecting experience, Zippo began hosting the Zippo/Case International Swap Meet in 1995. Perhaps one of the biggest influences on collecting is Zippo’s ties to Hollywood and Broadway. The Zippo lighter has been featured in more than 1,500 movies, stage plays and television shows over the years. Zippo lighters have “starred” in such diverse productions as “I Love Lucy” “The X-Men” and “Hairspray – the Musical.” Often the lighter is a key prop, used as a device to more the plot forward or to reflect the personality of a character or time period being depicted.

In 2006, Zippo production surpassed the milestone of 425 million lighters since Mr. Blaisdell crafted the first lighter in early 1933. The lighter is ingrained in the fabric of both American and global culture. In marketing parlance, the brand enjoys an unaided awareness rate of more than 98 percent. That means 98 out of every 100 people surveyed have knowledge of the Zippo name.

No comments:

Post a Comment