23 March, 2011

23 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
23 March, 1944        1725
My dearest sweetheart –

Gosh I love you, darling, and my being away from you seems like terrible punishment. I desire so much to be with you, close to you – all the time – that I know I will never be satisfied, content or relaxed, mentally or physically, until that day when our wishes are really fulfilled. In that connection, dearest, I guess I don’t tell you often enough just how much you mean to me. By that I mean I want you to know how much you really hold me. I want you to be sure you understand that no one ever can possibly mean anything to me except you. You must always tell yourself that, darling, and if it makes you more happy – then I’m glad. It’s just that I’ve come to feel that you are mine alone, waiting for me and wanting me only; you must feel that way about me and get the same satisfaction I get. Do you, darling?

Well – we’re getting settled here – and things are really comfortable. Today I did a lot of inspecting, running around – etc. In the p.m. I bought some heavy celluloid and spent a few hours making a permanent type mapboard. I really don’t know why – because up to now I’ve always merely asked where I was supposed to go – and managed to get there – while others with elaborate maps and colored pencils, got lost. Nonetheless – it looks nice if you have one – and it’s something to fool around with anyway.

I’ve just returned to the Castle and am waiting for supper. We eat at 1800 now and it gives me a little time more. I found some mail for me – but none from you, darling. I got one from my father, Part I from Stan (I had received Part II of a V-mail a few days ago), also a second V-mail from Stan, a letter from Bea, one from Barbara Tucker and one from a Major M.C. friend of mine – stationed in Hawaii. He practiced in Peabody and when he went into the Army, I took over his practice part time (or did I tell you already?)

My father’s letter didn’t contain any information about a ring, dammit, but he hadn’t received my letter about it I guess. He told me he hoped to have you over the house – some part of Passover – if not for the Seder and again reminded me how much my mother and he loved you, dear. You really fit with them, darling, and I’m glad.

Part I of Stan’s letter told me about his breakup with Shirley. He made it sound casual and said they were still good friends. He gave no reason. He also said he was going out with about 8-10 different girls now and was having fun. His other letter was to ask me if I could get a Zippo lighter for Y.D. Markson. He heard they were easy to get in the PX’s here and were unattainable in the States. Why Markson should want a Zippo is beyond me. The fact is – they’re not easy to get – as you know. They allow 7% of an outfit to get them and I waited 4 mos for the one I have. I just wrote Lawrence the other day that I’d send him the one I got – but I’ll tell him I can’t and send it to Stan, instead. The Lord knows he did enough for me in the past and if he can do Markson a favor – it won’t do him any harm. I’ll write him later.

I enjoyed Bea’s letter – tremendously, sweetheart – and it was swell of her to write so friendly and warm a letter to me. I know I’m really going to like her a lot. I’ll write her soon too. Barbara T’s letter was news about Mrs. Tucker and Salem – and there you are, darling.

I’m going to eat now, dear, so I’ll stop. I’m still sitting tight waiting for important news and I do hope it comes soon and is what I want to hear. It must be! Until later, Sweetheart, my sincerest love is yours and will be so forever. I love you, darling, and mean to tell you that over and over again – Do you mind? So long for now, dear

Yours – for always
Greg.
Regards to everyone
Love G

* TIDBIT *

about The Secret Kept about Company "C"

Greg took up lodging at the "new" Sherborne Castle on the 21st of March, 1944. Just a day earlier, an incident occurred which was kept secret for many years. He may never have known of it. Here the story is told by Joe Izzillo, a member of the 294th Combat Engineers, Company "B".

We did all of our training with mines and bridges on the property formerly owned by Sir Walter Raleigh, and now owned by the Digby family. Raleigh's castle was in ruins and on a large lake and that is where we did our training, building and blowing up static and floating bridges and working with mines. The Digby family were living in the relatively new castle at the time. One of the daughters, Pamela Digby later married Randolph Churchill, Winston's son. Later, they were divorced and she had a series of lovers and, at one time, became America's ambassador to France. Late in life she married Averill Harriman. She dissipated his fortune and after he died, she was sued by his children.

On the grounds of the Digby estate was the 228th Station Hospital, which consisted of a bunch of Quonset huts. The winter of 1943 was brutal. One day I woke up in my foxhole covered with frost and I realized that I had lost most of my hearing. This was not surprising since we were constantly working with explosives. I was taken to the 228th for treatment.

On March 20, 1944, I was lying in bed when there was a huge explosion and I was blown off my bed. The other patients and I raced outside and we saw the carnage. Company "C" had just finished an exercise with mine laying and then picked up the anti-tank mines and placed them alongside a truck to be taken to a safe area until the next exercise. The truck accidentally back up over some mines and about 90 mines exploded. The truck disappeared and 29 men were torn apart and their bodies were scattered through the trees. It was horrendous. Naturally, we were warned by security to keep quiet or we would end up being taken to Leavenworth Penitentiary in Kansas. The story was put out that two German saboteurs had set off an explosion. I understand that this was done because placing a hospital near explosives was a violation of the Geneva Convention.

It was many years after the war that a local reporter, using the Freedom of Information Act, wrote the true story.

The 228th American Hospital was built in Haydon Park in 1943 and treated over 22,000 patients both Allied and POW before it was disbanded in 1945 when its equipment and medical supplies were donated to local hospitals. Here is a picture of the Entrance Gate of the 228th Station Hospital in March of 1944:


Entrance to the 228th Station Hospital,
Sherborne, Dorset, UK

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I don't know if you'll receive this, seeing as your blog on this subject was posted back in 2011, but I am a British freelance journalist embarking on writing an article about the 228th American Hospital at Haydon Park, Sherborne, for a magazine called 'Britain At War'. I am seeking information and photos that I can use in the article. I would love to talk to you on this subject, so if you receive this and want to respond, please do email me on: robinwhitlock1966@gmail.com

    Thanks and best wishes

    Robin Whitlock, UK

    ReplyDelete