27 March, 2011

27 March, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 578 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
27 March, 1944        1500
Dearest sweetheart –

The weather is almost intolerable in its fairness – as paradoxical as that may seem, dear. As usual – wherever this outfit has been – we’ve always struck “unusual weather” or so the natives tell us. I thought this was the usual thing for England right now, but we’re assured it’s not. At any rate – it has been lovely down here, darling, and if I never had Spring Fever before, I sure have it now. I suppose it’s a good thing I don’t have much to do these days, because I’m sure I’d never get it done. Balmy – is the best way to describe the days we’ve been having, just like those we get in early May at home. The cherry blossoms, daffodils and early Spring flowers are all out – and all in all dear I miss you terribly. We’re always going to enjoy the Spring together, I know. It would be so wonderful to walk hand in hand with you through this lovely town and its suburbs, only I wonder how long we’d be just hand in hand. Well Salem has it suburbs, too, and we’ll be able to walk there.

Sweetheart I’ve missed you so these past couple of weeks. I just can’t explain it to you. It isn’t merely a feeling of wanting to be with you, being married, being together, and so on. All that goes almost without saying. It’s more a feeling as if I had already spent part of my life with you and had to be separated from you because of the war. In other words, darling, I miss you more acutely because in my mind – we’ve been together for a long time and now we are not. I don’t know how clear I’m making myself, but the plain fact is, dear, that I love you so deeply and truly that being away from you all these months is punishment. I would so love to be with you getting started on life – but then, you know how I feel, dear.

The moon was new last night, and that didn’t help either. It used to be that I minded the full moon, but now it’s any moon; and when there’s no moon, it’s the myriad of stars that fascinate me and make me transcend miles of space to be near you – even for a few fleeting moments of unnatural realism. Wilma, darling, I could go on for hours telling you how I feel about you and how I miss you and how you’ve changed my life and made it something with a real, tangible, purpose and goal. I’ve never felt like this before, dear. I’ve been moderately ambitious in the past, but I often used to wonder just what I was heading for. I was really a lonesome fellow inwardly, although to my friends I know I seemed the opposite. It was when I was alone that I did my thinking and wondering. My meeting you and knowing you – our love for each other filled a space which I alone knew existed. Had I not gotten to meet you, that emptiness would still have existed. For your love and sincerity; for your thoughtfulness, good cheer, for your hope and patience – sweetheart – I thank the Lord daily – you, not often enough, I guess. But you must know that I do feel that way, darling. As I wrote before – I don’t see how I can possibly really show you until after the war, when we’re married. Then, dear, I hope to make your life forever happy with me – as you are making mine now – at a time when it would have been so easy to be unhappy and disillusioned.

I’m afraid I rambled today, sweetheart, but facts and things were not on my mind. I just felt like telling you what you mean to me. If you get the slightest inkling – then I’m satisfied. I’ll write again tomorrow, dear. Meanwhile so long and remember – my love is yours for always –

Greg
Regards to the family
Love
G.

No comments:

Post a Comment