13 September, 2012

13 September 1945

438th AAA AW BN
APO 513 % Postmaster, N.Y.
13 September, 1945      2000
Nancy

Dearest darling Wilma –

I almost didn’t get a chance to write you today and I would have been angry had I not. For I enjoy so much, dearest, reminding you that I love you, want you and miss you – and if I miss telling you that for even a day, well – the more fool I.

In the first place, darling, I had court today. That would have been enough to tie me up. In the second place, we had to move again. Yup – it’s hard to believe – but it’s true. As if we haven’t moved enough already – at this stage of the game we had to do it all over again. I tell you, dear, better not let me buy a house in a hurry or get settled too firmly in any one apartment; I’m sure that after 6 or 8 weeks I’ll insist – out of habit – on moving across the street, or two blocks down – or something. I honestly can’t imagine having all my clothes laid out neatly in one place and leaving them there. This time again, it was out of our control. In an attempt to return all private homes to their owners, all officers have been moved downtown into hotels. As a matter of fact we’re much better off now. For one thing, we’re centrally located and within walking distance of the movies, Red Cross and Kaserne; secondly, we have individual rooms, a large double bed – fresh sheets and regular hotel service. Well – what with court and all – I was really busy. I’ve just finished getting my room set, had a bath and here I am – just a bit tired – but never too tired to write to you.

And boy – I got mail today – one letter from Canada and two from Newton – 4 and 5 September and I found them very interesting and warm. I’m so glad you could think so sincerely of me amidst all the hubbub, glamour and excitement of Montreal. As we used to say, it must have been some shindig. I knew the family was connected with Seagram’s and Schenley’s; seems to me that Irv Fine’s cousin Ray married one branch of the family living in Boston – and their house, too, was by no means petite. At any rate, darling, I’m glad you enjoyed yourself and I hope the folks did, too. It makes me so mad though to think that others can hold you in their arms and dance with you – while I’m still here, kicking my heels and and just wondering what sort of sensation holding you in my arms is like, anyway. It’s such a long time, sweetheart. But when I do get you in my arms again – it will be for always, dear, and you won’t have to close your eyes and dream of me. I’ll be there and you’ll know it. What will it really be like to sit beside you, drink to your health and mine, look at you, hold you, feel the rush of blood thru my body – your presence being a much greater effect than anything alcohol could do – what will it be like? It will be wonderful, dear – and the reality of it will be something to cherish and thrive upon.

Gosh, sweetheart, I can’t be specific tonite. I wish I could say when – how I was getting home. I will get home and it can’t be too far away. And when I do get home – I swear I’ll make up for all the lost time. Believe me, dear.

And now, darling, goodnite until tomorrow. Love to the folks – and remember

I’m yours alone for always –
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about Some Words from Big Timber
regarding the News about some German Commanders



The Crazy Mountains just beyond Big Timber, Montana

Big Timber is the county seat of Sweet Grass County, Montana, United States. The population was 1,650 at the 2000 census. The city has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 sq km), of which, 0.9 square miles (2.3 sq km) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 sq km) of it (3.09%) is water.

Here are a few articles published in The Big Timber Pioneer, Vol. 55, No. 48, Big Timber, Sweet Grass County, Montana, on Thursday, 13 September 1945. The newspaper image was put online by SmallTownPapers, Inc.

"Quisling Sentenced to Face Firing Squad for Betrayal"

Vidkum Quisling
18 July 1887 - 24 October 1945

OSLO, Norway, September 10 – Vidkum Quisling was convicted Monday of betraying his country to the Germans and sentenced to die before a firing squad.

The 59-year-old former puppet ruler, whose name has become a synonym for traitor the world over, stood impassive in the courtroom as Presiding Judge Erik Solem read the verdict, which was broadcast to the people of Norway. Quisling's jaw muscles tightened and his pallid face reddened. He did not speak until the judge informed him that while the treason conviction could not be appealed, he could ask the supreme court to reduce the sentence.

“Is it your intention to do this?”the judge asked.

“Yes,” replied Quisling who ruled Norway for Adolf Hitler from Sept. 25, 1940, until his cabinet resigned in the general German collapse last spring.

Solem – a member of the supreme court which would hear Quisling's mercy plea – read in measured, deliberate tones a lengthy statement in which the panel of three judges and four laymen gave their reasons for the unanimous verdict. “The defendant,” he concluded, “is sentenced to death for his crimes against military and civilian laws and crimes against the provisional laws.”

Unless delayed by a clemency move, the sentence probably will be carried out in three weeks. Quisling also was ordered to pay about 1,050,000 krones (about $200,000) court costs. The panel did not state how the money would be paid, but presumably his costly medieval paintings and other property will be confiscated.

The beetle-browed former puppet premier leaned on a table and stared, glassy-eyed, across the courtroom as Solem recited the people's indictment against him. Solem said testimony during the three-week trial proved that Quisling and Hitler decided together to declare the Norwegian government illegal on invasion day, so that Quisling could take control. He said, still speaking calmly and without apparent emotion, that Quisling plotted the invasion with Nazi military leaders, and that he tried to order Norway's forces to cease firing, in an attempt to hand over the country without a struggle.


Here is a short Newsreel about the verdict:



In the same paper was this article with the title:

“'Butcher of Warsaw' Captured in Japan”
 
Josef Albert Meisinger
14 September 1899 – 7 March 1947

SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 7 – Bob Brumby said in a Mutual broadcast from Tokyo that the “Butcher of Warsaw” hulking Joseph Albert Meisinger, has been captured by five Americans who traveled 62 miles into unoccupied Japan on a tip that the Nazi was living among 100 German militarists in refuge.

The five Yanks journeyed to a hotel in the Japanese interior, ate lunch with two Germans and learned that Meisinger was living in a room below, said Brumby. He quoted Captains Adolph Gesler of Philadelphia and Theodore Holwitz of Milwaukee as saying that the Americans, whose names were not given, were warned that Meisinger was heavily armed and dangerous.

After lunch, the broadcast related, the Americans sent a note to Meisinger asking him to surrender. They told him they would take him to American authorities and suggested it would be better for him to surrender to Americans than to Russians. In a short time Meisinger appeared. He told the United States soldiers that he never would have allowed himself to be taken by the Russians and that he would have killed himself first.

Meisinger was accused of slaying 100,000 Jews in Warsaw between 1939 and 1941, when he went to Japan.

Here is one more article, this one with the title:

“Goering Reported in Excellent Health”

Hermann Goering
12 January 1893 - 15 October 1946

LONDON, Sept. 7 – Hermann Goering, who was taking 40 drug tablets a day when United States forces captured him last May, has been cured completely of his drug habit and is in perfect health for his forthcoming trial at Nurenberg as a war criminal, it was revealed Friday.

Thomas Blake, press aide to Justice Robert S. Jackson, American army was crimes prosecutor, said army physicians and psychiatrists pronounced Goering cured last week. They said when he was captured he had a suitcase containing 24,000 tablets of a morphine substitute, and physicians reduced the dosage gradually over a period of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment