28 September, 2011

28 September 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Germany
28 September, 1944      0925
My dearest darling –

First – excuse me for the hurried V-mail written last nite, dear, but I did want to get something off to you before the day was over. Yesterday was Yom Kippur and about 9 of us headed back to Corps headquarters where services were to be held. We had to cross a ford at one point and the recent rain swelled all the creeks – the result being that both jeeps got stuck and then some! Poor ‘Wilma’ – she really got covered with mud. She was a mess, but then – before it was all over – so was I. We finally got help from a large truck which had to winch us out. We were quite late at this point but continued on our way and did manage to get to our destination before the services were over.

CLICK ON PICTURE TO ENLARGE

Jeep in the mud in Huertgen Forest
(Occupants unknown)

I prayed hard, sweetheart, for everything that we both want so much and I’m certain that we’ll have it all some day. Incidentally the B.B.C. made a recording of the services and I assume that it was or will be re-broadcast.

In the p.m. the Colonel asked me to go on reconnaissance with another officer to look for a new C.P. – preferably indoors. That suited me fine because the last week or so – outdoor life hasn’t been too hot. By the way, darling, I hope you don’t entertain any idea of going on camping trips after we’re married. I warn you now, dear, that will constitute grounds for divorce! Anyway – we went to a nearby town, looked up the Burgomeister and had him show us the various vacant houses in town. The mayors of these towns are not the mayors in power when the Nazis were here – but are O.K’d by the Civil Affairs outfit. The latter has done a good job. They – with the help of an Army police force – move into a town, root out the obvious Nazis and trouble-makers, lock them up, and appoint a German whom – they think – they can trust. We finally found places that could accommodate all the officers and men, but it took most of the p.m. We were supposed to move today – but something else turned up and we sit here in the same place, after all.

As I wrote you last nite, I found a letter of yours and 3 V-mails – all one letter, from Verna. I read them this morning – it was too dark last nite and our gasoline lantern was on the bum. Your letter, dear, was written 10 Sept – and you can see that our mail is reaching us quite late these days. Verna’s letter thanked me for writing to her personally and told me of the nice day you she and Irv had had together. I was surprised at what she had to say about Stan. Her previous letter had rather defended Stan’s failure to write and keep in contact with his friends. In this one she elaborated on his successes with the women in Washington, and with the Marksons, and then went on to say it has given him a very big head etc. I’m sorry for all that has happened to Stan because he is estranging some of his oldest and best friends – and he may want their help some day; if not help – at least comfort.

I enjoyed your description of your elated feeling on only 1 drink – the nite you went to a ‘joint’ with Nin and Irv. I’m not worrying about marrying a souse, darling. I guess one thing neither of us will have trouble with is drinking. I like to take a drink at a party or when I’m going out – but outside of that, I don’t miss it at all.

Say, dear, you’ve really got me lined up to take care of ‘baby’. I don’t know what kind of husband I’ll make taking care of babies, but I do know I love ‘em and that’s the most important part. We’ll waste no time having a couple – what do you think?

Have to stop now, darling. One of my boys just came in to tell me the Colonel is looking for me so I’d better be going. I do love you, darling, and I hope you’re aware by now how much. These past ten months have neared you to me tremendously, and I’m glad that distance enhanced our love rather than dimmed it – as so often is the case.

For now, so long, and love to the folks.

All my everlasting love
Greg

P.S. Enclosed are a few odd notes I’ve come across.
L. G.

Route of the Question Mark


[CLICK TO ENLARGE]

(A) Rott, Germany to (B) Raeren, Belgium (6 miles)
20 to 28 September 1944

September 28... Raeren, Belgium. A retreat back across the border because we wanted houses to live in. Comfortable rooms, electric lights, running water. The problem of looting came up for the first time, for these houses were furnished, and fraternizing became the unwritten order of the day until the M.P.s put a stop to it. Here the death of T/4 COLLINS depressed everyone, and we were issued overcoats, a sure sign of the approach of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment