13 October, 2011

13 October 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 230 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Germany
13 October, 1944        1600
My darling, >

I’ve just come from seeing a movie. I missed seeing it the other day, “A Guy named Joe”, but it was put on again this p.m. and this time I was able to make it. I don’t know what kind of write-up it had, but I liked it.


I felt sentimental enough to like anything that had to do with a boy and a girl – and love. Some of the words – as is often the case – just hit home – and when the picture was over, I found myself missing you terribly and wanting your love. The feeling is one I don’t have to describe because you’ve told me how you feel, darling. It’s times like this though – that I damn the Germans, damn the war – and everything that is keeping us apart. I want so much to be home, loving you and being with you always; I want to be able to look at you, see you smile and hear you laugh; I want to be able to kiss you, drive away in the car, turn right around and go back and kiss you again. I want to be free, sweetheart, free to live like a human being again, to live rather than exist; to feel each day rather than count it. I want you, dear – and I won’t be happy until I have you! The only consolation I get is in the fact that our love is a real one – and time is proving that. Eleven months of separation has not dimmed you from my mind’s eye even a fraction, darling; how I would love to see you in the ‘real’ once more, to feel my heart pound as I approached your door and waited for you to answer, to hold you tightly against me over and over again and to be able to say something to you, rather than write it – and hear your answer. Job had nothing on two people in love with each other when it comes to patience!

Excuse the mood, darling. The picture got me into it. So long as I know you are there, loving me and waiting for me, I can stick this damned thing out – and then, sweetheart, we will live again!

Today, Friday the 13th, is no more hazardous a day than most days are for a soldier, I guess – and so we’re taking this one in stride. This morning I was fairly busy with routine duties and then I went to the movie. This evening I believe I’ll read. Last night we played cards for awhile and then I went to bed early. One of the things I did accomplish this morning was to mail the clock. It was carefully boxed by one of my men – and if that’s all that is necessary, it ought to reach you in good condition. The big problem is whether or not it gets by the censor. It has at least two of those to pass – and either one of them can confiscate it. That’s the way they work – although it doesn’t sound reasonable. A good many items have been sent out – and no more has been heard about them. I’ll be plenty angry if that occurs in this case – but that’s as far as it will go, I guess. Anyway, darling, I’ll be able to tell you about it and who knows – I might even draw you a picture of it.

I got your letter telling me of your fasting and praying. Thank you, sweetheart, and I, for one, certainly hope that what you prayed for, comes true – and soon. I didn’t fast – although there was a time when I did. I guess the Lord will forgive me this time.

All for now, dear, I’ve got to get ready to eat. We have our evening meal at 1700 to give the kitchen a chance to clean up before it gets too dark outside. Hope to hear from you later – mail is not in yet for today. Meanwhile – my love to the folks, darling, and

My deepest and sincerest love to you
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about "A Guy Named Joe"


From Wikipedia:

Pete Sandidge (Spencer Tracy) is the reckless pilot of a B-25 Mitchell bomber flying out of England during World War II. He is in love with Dorinda Durston (Irene Dunne), a civilian pilot ferrying planes across the Atlantic. "Nails" Kilpatrick (James Gleason), Pete's commanding officer, first transfers Pete and his crew to a base in Scotland and then offers him a transfer back to America to be a flying instructor. Dorinda has a feeling that Pete's "number is up" and begs him to accept. Pete agrees, but goes out on one last mission with his best friend Al Yackey (Ward Bond) to check out a German aircraft carrier. Wounded after an attack by an enemy fighter, he has his crew bail out before bombing the ship and crashing into the sea.

Pete then finds himself walking in clouds, where he first recognizes an old friend, Dick Rumney (Barry Nelson). Suddenly becoming ill-at-ease after remembering that Dick went down with his aircraft in a fiery crash, Pete says, "either I'm dead or I'm crazy." Dick answers, "You're not crazy." Dick ushers Pete to a meeting with "The General" (Lionel Barrymore) who gives him an assignment. He is to be sent back to Earth, where a year has elapsed, to pass on his experience and knowledge to dilettante Ted Randall (Van Johnson), first in flight school, then as a P-38 Lightning fighter pilot in the south Pacific. Ted's commanding officer turns out to be Al Yackey.

The situation becomes complicated when Ted meets the still-grieving Dorinda. Al encourages Dorinda to give the young pilot a chance. The pair gradually fall in love; Ted proposes to her and she accepts, much to Pete's jealous dismay.

When Dorinda finds out from Al that Ted has been given an extremely dangerous assignment to destroy the largest Japanese ammunition dump in the Pacific, she steals his aircraft. Pete guides her in completing the mission and returning to the base to Ted's embrace. Pete accepts what must be and walks away, his job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment