03 June, 2011

03 June, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 654 % Postmaster, N.Y.
England
3 June, 1944        0715

Dearest darling –

Seems like at least 24 hours since I last wrote I loved you so I’d better tell you again right now, dear; I do love you sweetheart and miss you – and it makes no difference where I am or what I’m doing; I always feel the same.

Yesterday, darling, I had a half day off – which I do very rarely. I decided to go over to the next town – which is roughly 3 times larger than this one – perhaps about the size of Beverly or Framingham, Mass. At any rate, it has a shopping center of a sort and I wandered around. There was nothing to buy though; there never is. Everything is couponed and everything is practical. I went into a book store and bought a couple of small books on England and London – illustrated – just to have as a memento. A good many of the places portrayed – I’ve been to or passed through. I’ll send it to you anyway, dear.

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

The outside cover of one of the books


The frontispiece and title page of the other book

Well it was now about 1600 – so there was nothing to do but have tea – of course, which I did. I’m quite fond of tea as a matter of fact. Then I went to the theater – or flicks as they insist on calling it here. I saw an English picture – and a good one this time “Fanny by Gaslight” – from the novel by Michael Sandleir. It was well done – a romantic story. When that was over – I ate at the Mermaid Hotel, about the only place in town that serves a decent meal – and darling, for dessert – I had fresh strawberries which were wonderful and totally unexpected. Things we miss most over here are fresh fruits, fresh eggs and milk. I haven’t had a glass of milk since I left the States – but don’t tell my mother or she’d worry herself sick – because she knows how much I used to like it. Anyway I then took the bus home – or back here, rather.

Most likely Greg ate at this Mermaid Hotel and Restaurant
in Rye, East Sussex

CLICK IMAGES TO ENLARGE

  

I found no letter from you – but there was one from Mary – very friendly and thoughtful – with a religious token for Pete – which I will give him. I’ll answer her letter soon.

Yesterday forenoon – I decided to try to get through to Frank Morse again. I had tried four other times and he was either out, or they couldn’t find him. Well I got him this time and it sure was good to hear the voice of a friend from home. Everything is going along smoothly with him – although he’s quite busy in the hospital, the lucky stiff. Oh – he congratulated me on my engagement. His wife Susie had written him and mailed him the clipping. I told him I hadn’t seen the one in the Salem News so he said he still had it and was sending it on. You never did send the Salem one, darling, although I assume it was the same.

And now – Saturday a.m. – with inspections, check ups etc. etc. and then Sat p.m. – I think we’ll have a game of softball. There’s still a bare possibility I may be able to play a round of golf this p.m. or Sunday – but I’m not sure yet. I’ll have to stop now, Sweetheart and get started. I’m interested in hearing about your work – and I should hear from you soon. Meanwhile I love you dearly, darling – and I always will.

Love to the folks and

All my deepest love
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about The Prelude to the Invasion

The embarkation of all troops is complete. Over 100,000 troops are locked in their ships in ports all over southern England awaiting the impending invasion. However, the weather in the channel was stormy...

Among Eisenhower's "Pre-Presidential Papers" was this memorandum on conditions in Normandy, dated the 3rd of June, 1944:

CLICK TO ENLARGE PAGES

No comments:

Post a Comment