28 June, 2011

28 June, 1944 (2nd letter)

438th AAA AW BN
APO 403 % Postmaster, N.Y.
France
28 June, 1944       2200

My dearest fiancée –

As I promised – I’m writing again tonight – having written you a hurried V-mail earlier today. However – it’s late and I’ll probably have to finish up tomorrow. Again – excuse the stationery, darling, but wrinkled and dirty as it is – it’s all I could get hold of. For some reason or other the word ‘stationery’ reminds me of the silly joke: Customer to clerk – “Do you keep stationery?”, Clerk – “I do – until the very end – and then I go all to pieces.” Excuse it dear. The fact is I feel very happy tonite because I just got a couple of letters from you – 12th and 13th of June and the latter contained your pictures. And where do you get that photogenic stuff? The pictures are swell! I love them – but they made me feel like wanting to kiss and hug and love you. I got a kick out of the ring and am tickled that you still “love it”. It seemed so strange to see you with a ring on your 4th left finger – and then realize that is was my fiancée. I suppose you think that’s queer, darling, but so many times in the past I’ve longed for a fiancée – all my own – and then I had to go and acquire one by mail and not enjoy the pleasure – the possessive pleasure of seeing her. Anyway, dearest, seeing you standing there – with the ring and realizing that you were actually mine – well, darling – it made me happy and I’m so glad to realize that you enjoy being my fiancée. I won’t let you down, I hope.

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Incidentally, I liked the standing one better and the boys – the whole medical detachment had to look you (and the ring) over – liked the sitting one. I have a little wallet-like affair which fits over the one you sent me and I now have those 2 photos in it – the three in my left breast pocket – where I’ve kept your photograph ever since we left England. I somehow felt better when it was right close to me. The other photos which you sent before – are in my billfold.

I do hope sweetheart that you’re hearing from me more often now. I’ve been lucky this week in getting one from you almost every day – and how that makes the day a successful one – you’ll never really know, dear.

Meanwhile – things are moving along. I managed to get a hold of a Yank out here and sent it on – chiefly because the pictures it portrays are from towns I’ve been through, in, by – all of which were just as shown. The sketches of the beach are very real and just as we saw them. If you save the copies at all – save that one, darling. Other than that, darling – you’re up to date. I do hope you’re not getting bored, and that you continue to find your work interesting. Thanks again for being so wonderful to my folks – who continue to love you more and more – I know. My love to all your family too, darling and my special brand of love to you, dear – for being the grandest fiancée a guy could ever wish for. Good nite for now – darling – and my sincerest love
Greg

* TIDBIT *

about Yank Magazine

Below are the front cover, inside front cover and back cover of the 11 June 1944 Yank Magazine, labeled the "Liberation Edition". This may not have been the one that Greg mailed to Wilma, but it shows some of the sketches to which he referred. No more of this edition seems to be available, and it was noted that this edition contained no further information on the Normandy landings. Since this edition came out only five days after the invasion, any detailed information might have been useful to the enemy.

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE



Back Cover Pinup Girl Anne Gwynne

No comments:

Post a Comment