30 June, 2011

30 June, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 403 % Postmaster, N.Y.
France
30 June, 1944     0930

My dearest girl –

It seems good to at least start writing on a clean sheet of paper. I managed to get hold of some, but how long it will stay clean and unwrinkled is problematical.

Last night I got two more letters from you and now I’m pretty nearly up to date to the 16th of June – which is darned good, I think. There are a few missing, but I’m able to imagine the blank spaces, dear. What makes me ‘mad’ is the fact that on the 16th of June – your latest letter from me was written May 21st. But the other fellows in our outfit say their folks are writing them the same thing, and your reference to the fact that some of the girls are again hearing in 10-12 days must mean that those fellows didn’t go anywhere. By now, anyway, you are hearing more regularly, I’m sure, darling. I’m sorry my letter with the enclosed check didn’t get to you in time but you’ll at least know I tried. At that time I was certain I was writing far enough in advance.

Your mention of the freak storm was interesting and I’m glad that on the whole – your home and surroundings were unaffected – also, that no one was hurt. I remember well the hurricane of a few years back. I was either an intern or resident then at Salem Hospital and we worked a good part of the night using battery lamps – on the casualties that kept drifting in. I was angry, too, because it had been my scheduled night off.

I do wish you’d get a little vacation, darling, just to get away for a change. You should have accepted Bea’s invitation for the 4th of July. It seems to me you ought to be able to cope with Arthur without too much difficulty. Anyway you know best.

I got a sort of news letter from the Salem Hospital. I’m enclosing it – thought you might like to see it; guess I’ll have to write and tell them I’m in France. The reference to a Dr. Poirier registering us in and out started when I asked him to put my light on once a week – for the price of 10 cents a year. He agreed and then started turning on everybody’s light who was in the service.

Well, Sweetheart, all this dribble and I haven’t yet reminded you of my love for you. I guess the reason for that is because like most humans – I like to save the best for last. I do love you, darling, more and more and miss you just as much. It is extremely gratifying to realize you feel the same way. That is really all we need dear – the rest will follow naturally. Do take care of yourself and don’t work too hard. I’ll have to close now, dear. My love to the folks and

All my love to you,
Greg


* TIDBIT *

about the Picture of the "Southout" to Come

Here is a map of the Enemy Order of Battle in West Normandy as of 30 June 1944, as marked by the Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF).
CLICK ON MAP TO ENLARGE

©1993 - 2011 The Probert Encyclopaedia
Southampton, United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment