06 July, 2011

06 July, 1944

438th AAA AW BN
APO 403 % Postmaster, N.Y.
France
6 July, 1944          1015

Dearest sweetheart –

Another day, another letter. Again I believe I have been able to write 3 letters in a row without resorting to V-mail. I much prefer this because I don’t feel cramped. I got another letter from you last night – written the 20th of June at the Clark’s. If I can get one a day like that, dear, I’ll be happy. Getting 14 letters from me in 2 days should impress you with at least one thing, if nothing more, – and that is that I’m writing to you. It’s too bad they have to come bunched like that though.

Well I’m glad my check arrived, sweetheart, and I hope you didn’t have to go to too much extra expense to get what you did. And I hope the gifts were enjoyed. It is absolutely impossible to think in terms of things to buy in France. It was bad enough in England – where a shortage existed because 1) lack of manufacture or import and 2) American troops having bought up everything after being in England for two years. In France – the Germans bought up everything usable a long time ago and whatever appears now is black market and worthless. Incidentally everything is priced in the hundreds or thousands of francs and that seems to be the effect of the tremendous amount of francs the Germans printed. They flooded France with it and as a result – our money is just as cheap. As a matter of fact – a storekeeper would much rather have a pack of cigarettes or some GI rations – than the francs – because he can’t buy anything with the latter, anyway.

I had occasion to be in Cherbourg and of course I can’t tell you much about the place for many reasons. As is usual with my outfit – or at least with me – whenever we get anywhere – I manage to see about every part of the place – and so with France, so far. I’ve run into a couple of fellows I knew slightly at Edwards and I don’t remember if I mentioned it to you already – but I did see some evidence of an outfit’s being here that you mentioned in one of your letters – the brother of a girlfriend of yours from Portland, I believe, is in that outfit. Seems to me I may have told you this already – but it’s easy to forget things here.

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Cherbourg (Manche) Postcard
Le Quai Alexander III


Cherbourg (Manche) Postcard - Front and Back
The Beach - Before the Invasion!

8 July 1944
Hello Dear! I can't write when I was here -
But I guess I can tell you -
It didn't look like this and I didn't go swimming.
Love, G.

And sometime after the invasion...


Well, darling, I’m proud of you. Eighty-eight percent is a high mark in any type of exam. What comes now? Are you through your training period, do you wear a uniform – and what else?

I was glad to read that Betty and Les were finally married. Those two really “sweated” it out. It’s going to be mighty difficult for her when he goes overseas, though – and that he will – I feel pretty certain – particularly if he’s in the infantry. I’m sorry to read though that she didn’t graduate. She’ll always regret that fact, especially later in life. Somehow or other I feel that was Les’s fault and had he insisted more strongly – she might have stuck it out.

Sweetheart – that’s all for now. It sure is great hearing from you again and I’m glad the reverse is true. I love you, dear – and hearing from you is my only satisfaction these days – but there’ll come a day! Love to the folks – and

All my love is yours, dear
Greg

La Presse Cherbourgeoise, 5 July 1944, Number 3
"First Newspaper of Liberated France"

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE



No comments:

Post a Comment