11 July, 2011

11 July, 1944

V-MAIL

438th AAA AW BN
APO 403 % Postmaster, N.Y.
France
11 July, 1944

Hello darling!

Tuesday morning and a little sunshine. On 2 successive Mondays it has rained and the days were sort of blue. But things look pretty good today, dear.

Yesterday I was visited by a friend of mine – a Colonel in AA whom I knew with Col. Pereira on maneuvers last year. He heard we were around and he dropped in. We had a nice long talk and reminisced about our days down South in 1943.

This morning I’m going to go to a nearby Army hospital and ask the C.O. if he can use any help. I’ve talked with my Col. and he said it was all right with him. If I can do even part time work of any sort – it will be welcome. I’ll let you know later, dear, how I make out.

Other than that – nothing new and all is comparatively quiet here. My health is excellent darling – so don’t worry. Remember I love you and think only of that. Love to the folks.

All my love, dear
Greg

Route of the Question Mark


[CLICK TO ENLARGE]

(A) St. Come-du-Mont (2 July, 1944) to
(B)
Douville (11 July, 1944)
("Douville" was renamed "Donville")

The end of Page 23 from The Route of the Question Mark tells this:

page 23

July 11... Douville. The truck drivers cleaned the cables on their vehicles, and it was a common sight to see apple trees pulled over when this operation was in progress. We first became acquainted with Calvados here, we pitched horse-shoes, we painted stars and moons and other inscriptions on our movie tent, and CHEETY shot a cow for the kitchen.


Orchard in Donville (today)
as seen through a Hedgerow

No comments:

Post a Comment