11 November, 2010

11 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916 % Postmaster, N.Y.
Nov. 11, 1943    0905

Wilma, darling –

It sure was swell talking with you yesterday evening. The sound of your voice was so good to hear, I could hardly believe I had actually managed to contact you. It really hasn’t been a long time, but sometimes a short time can seem interminable, and the last few days have seemed just like that.

Your plans, whatever they are, sound wonderful, but I’m not sure they’ll materialize. It would be swell if I could meet you in the City somewhere, but it will all depend on whether or not I can get off, and for how long. I really won’t know until almost the last minute – but I’ll call you as soon as I can. As a matter of fact I’ll probably have a pass tonite and if so I’ll call you, darling.

I called my folks after speaking with you last nite. My father had left for Ohio in the p.m., but I was able to speak with my mother and Lawrence. Both send their regards, by the way, dear.

Charlie, who was with me, and I then walked up to the Officers’ club. It’s a nice place, well decorated – but it seemed sort of dead, dear. They have a nice snack bar and some swell sandwiches; No hard liquor – but plenty of beer.

We stayed until 2130 and then headed for bed.

Gosh, darling, all I think about is the chance of seeing you again soon. I do hope we can get together and certainly I’ll try my best. If I can’t meet you, Sweetheart, it’s because it will be impossible.

I’m glad dear you’re finding use for the lighter. The fact that it holds only 10 cigarettes – isn’t too bad. Maybe you can ration yourself that more easily.

You said something about an exam on Saturday. If that’s true I hope you hit it, darling.

And don’t forget and get your license after school is over. I want my wife to be able to drive.

Well, Sweetheart – there isn’t any more right now that I can write except to say I love you deeply, more and more each day. By war’s end, darling, I’ll be a dangerous man. You’ll have to be on your toes – I warn you, dear.

So long for now, then – and

All my love
Greg.

No comments:

Post a Comment