12 November, 2010

12 November, 1943

438th AAA AW BN
APO 4916 c/o Postmaster N.Y.
Nov. 12, 1943    1130

Dearest Wilma –

Well it really was an ordeal trying to contact you last nite, dear. I was fit to be tied, and were it not for the mellowing effects of 2(?) Martinis – I would have liked to kill a couple of Springfield operators.

I was at the Commodore and after involving about 6 telephone girls in a mixup, I finally learned that your phone was out of order. For a moment I was frustrated, but then I remembered the presence of that other phone in the compartment and called the College. Well – as you know, darling, I missed you and the rest you know.

It was swell talking with you again – especially after having tried so long to get you. I wish the plans you had in mind could materialize, dear. It would be wonderful. But I’m afraid that’s out, from the way things look now. As for Saturday, dear – well – by the time this letter reaches you, Sweetheart – you will know of course what happened..

I’ll try to call you tonite, dear – and we’ll see what can be arranged.

Pete and I had a quiet, but mentally relaxing time last night. After leaving the Commodore, we visited the bars of the Roosevelt, Biltmore and Astor – in succession. It was then time to eat and we went to Taffeneti’s – at Time’s Square. It was from there that I called you, dear.


This cocktail napkin from the evening of
November 11th, 1943 at the Hotel Astor
was enclosed in this letter.

Again we went back to the Astor and later to the Taft. Finally after wandering the streets until 0300 – like a couple of goons from the country, we took the subway to 167th St, then the Bus to our destination. The result, darling, is that I’m tired today.

I’m O.D. at the Dispensary today and there’s been a steady stream of sick soldiers coming in – but in the p.m. I ought to be able to get a little rest.

A little while ago, darling, I managed to get a letter written to your mother. I hope she writes again.

Well, Sweetheart – so much for now. I’ll try to call tonite – as I said. As yet there’s been no mail – but maybe today. I hope you finally start hearing from me. I’d say it’s about time!

So long dear and you have

All my love
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment